Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall Soundflower.kext from Mac OS Monterey

I am trying to uninstall Soundflower from my laptop with Monterey and when I search for it in finder, nothing comes up but in System Preferences>Sound, it still shows up. I also looked under System/Library/Extensions and couldn't find it there either. Does anyone know what I am missing?

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 2:57 PM

From the Finder, press "Shift-Cmd-G" and in the popup window, paste in this folder path:

/Library/Extensions

Then inside that folder, look for a "Soundflower.kext" file. If there is one, DRAG it into the trash (you may be asked for the admin password)

and then REPEAT THE ABOVE STEPS, using this folder path:

/System/Library/Extensions

Then, empty your trash and restart your mac. 

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 2:57 PM in response to Pilotsanon

From the Finder, press "Shift-Cmd-G" and in the popup window, paste in this folder path:

/Library/Extensions

Then inside that folder, look for a "Soundflower.kext" file. If there is one, DRAG it into the trash (you may be asked for the admin password)

and then REPEAT THE ABOVE STEPS, using this folder path:

/System/Library/Extensions

Then, empty your trash and restart your mac. 

Apr 8, 2022 9:54 AM in response to Pilotsanon

you're welcome. :)

as far as "how safe" is blackhole? i'm not really sure what you mean. so my answer is, as long as you've downloaded it directly from the developer (existential audio) there will be nothing harmful bundled with the software. and as for functionality, it gives the same quality audio as soundflower. and i haven't had any conflicts within macOS since i first transitioned from soundflower to blackhole. i personally would give it a five-star review.

Uninstall Soundflower.kext from Mac OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.