Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud Backup

Helloo All !

I have a iphone 12pro Max. I am little confused regarding backing up my data. My confusion is - If i am backing up my entire phone (Backup Iphone) on icloud, do i still need to keep my icloud Photos on ? I mean as far as i know the phone backup will automatically include photos in it. I have just 200 GB of storage out of which almost 105 GB is consumed by my phots due to which i am unable to take iphone backup on icloud. Please suggest what to do ??

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 7:07 AM

iCloud photos are not part of the backup of your iPhone to iCloud.

Read Apple's support document What does iCloud back up?

You will see:

Here’s what iCloud Backup includes

• App data
  • Apple Watch backups
  • Device settings
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  • Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books3
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos4, Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, and shared photos. Some information is not included in an iCloud backup but can be added to iCloud and shared across multiple devices like Mail, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

The key thing to note is footnote 2 which says: When you use Messages in iCloud or turn on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. That means that they're not included in your iCloud Backup.

Be aware that at some point you will probably need to increase your iCloud storage space to the 2TB plan.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 7:07 AM in response to VishalJani

iCloud photos are not part of the backup of your iPhone to iCloud.

Read Apple's support document What does iCloud back up?

You will see:

Here’s what iCloud Backup includes

• App data
  • Apple Watch backups
  • Device settings
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
  • Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  • Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books3
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos4, Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, and shared photos. Some information is not included in an iCloud backup but can be added to iCloud and shared across multiple devices like Mail, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

The key thing to note is footnote 2 which says: When you use Messages in iCloud or turn on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. That means that they're not included in your iCloud Backup.

Be aware that at some point you will probably need to increase your iCloud storage space to the 2TB plan.

Apr 9, 2022 7:29 AM in response to David McKinlay

Thank You Sir !

Thats exactly what i am asking. If i turn off my iCloudPhotos (which will save my storage space on icloud which i can use for iphone backup) , thn my iphone backup will automatically include my photos in backup (thats what my confusion was). By doing that i will be able to backup my iphone (in limited storage that i have on icloud) which will include my photos too. But i am not sure about this so i raised this Query .

icloud Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.