Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older MacOS version image

The links go around in circles.

I'm trying to get an image of big Sur (this used to be simple!).

The downloading mac is Big Sur.

I open app store, click Get and the update dialog returns: "Update not found".

On an older mac app store returns: not compatible

that's the point! I want an image that I can work with, that I can put on a USB drive. I've got a lot of older macs. these are out of warrantee, anyway. I ought to be able to try whatever past OS's I want. I won't be coming to Apple complaining about non-compatibility. I already understand that problem.

Like I wrote, this used to be simple: apple published links to older OSs. Now, one has to have a mac that DOESN'T yet use the OS AND is compatible. That really limits what one can try.

Apple doesn't really want me to try and install the Darwin open source kernel, do they? I don't want to, either...

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 11:33 AM

6 replies

Apr 9, 2022 11:40 AM in response to Brook-ish

Brook-ish wrote:

he links go around in circles.

I'm trying to get an image of big Sur (this used to be simple!).

The downloading mac is Big Sur.

I open app store, click Get and the update dialog returns: "Update not found".

On an older mac app store returns: not compatible

that's the point! I want an image that I can work with, that I can put on a USB drive. I've got a lot of older macs. these are out of warrantee, anyway. I ought to be able to try whatever past OS's I want. I won't be coming to Apple complaining about non-compatibility. I already understand that problem.

Like I wrote, this used to be simple: apple published links to older OSs. Now, one has to have a mac that DOESN'T yet use the OS AND is compatible. That really limits what one can try.

Apple doesn't really want me to try and install the Darwin open source kernel, do they? I don't want to, either...

What is it you are trying to do..." image of big Sur" (?)

the macOS can be found here:

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Apr 9, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Brook-ish

Brook-ish wrote:

Yes, that is precisely the set of links and the apple support page I'm working with that errors out, after clicking Get in the applications app (on a Big Sur Mac Pro with Safari)

Basically Big Sur doesn't seem to be at that link any longer. ?

It could just be a temporary server glitch.

You can also from your Terminal.app see all, and download directly, (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)

copy and paste:

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

for your Big Sur

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6.5

when complete it will be in your Application folder "Install macOS Big Sur.app"

Older MacOS version image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.