Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beach Ball seems to stop all applications

This has happened to me twice. I go to an app like Photoshop and try to do something or save a file and I suddenly get the dreaded beach ball. And it won't go away. I go to Force Quit and see it's not responding. So I eventually have to force quit. But a couple times lately it when this happens it starts happening with many of the rest of my applications. If I try to shut down or restart nothing happens. So I press the power button, turn it off, and then start it again. And all is fine.

Now I do leave my computer on for days at a time. So what's happening and how can I fix it. I think it's something to do with the system rather than any one application. The iMac's a little over a year old.

Intel iMac with 4 MB of RAM., Mac OS X (10.6.4), An external Firewire 800 HD

Posted on Aug 9, 2010 1:56 PM

16 replies

Aug 9, 2010 8:14 PM in response to outtacontext

HI,

If you've only had this iMac for a year I doubt the hard drive is failing. Hopefully you have all your important files backed up just in case.

Boot from your install disc, run Disk Utility to Verify and if necessary Repair any errors on the startup disk.

Insert your install disk and Restart, holding down the "C" key until grey Apple appears.
Go to Installer menu and launch Disk Utility.
Select your HDD (manufacturer ID) in the left panel.
Select First Aid in the Main panel.
(Check S.M.A.R.T Status of HDD at the bottom of right panel. It should say: Verified)

Click Repair Disk on the bottom right.
If DU reports disk does not need repairs quit DU and restart.
If DU reports errors Repair again and again until DU reports disk is repaired.
When you are finished with DU, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Manager.
Select your start up disk and click Restart

While you have the Disk Utility window open, look at the bottom of the window. Where you see Capacity and Available. Make sure there is always 10% to 15% free disk space

If you can't boot from your install disc, try booting in Safe Mode

What is Safe Mode

Carolyn 🙂

Aug 10, 2010 4:35 AM in response to outtacontext

Thanks all. One point with which I've had trouble in the past is with my external HD via Firewire 800 connection. I started with an iMac and had two G-Tech 1 TB HDs daisy-chained, one to the other and then connected to the one Firewire port on the iMac. All my data started to corrupt. Long story short, Apple thought it was a bad iMac (just had gotten it) so they sent me a new one, which is this one. I then bought a Firewire hub and hooked both HDs to the computer and guess what, the corruption started happening again. So I've simply disconnected one external drive and have the other hooked up directly to the computer.

I noticed yesterday when this started happening that my external was doing some backup (Time Machine, I think). Could this have been the problem. I know it sounds crazy.

I will boot up with install disk and repair if necessary. Thx. And, yes, I have all my things backed up both inhouse and remotely.

Aug 10, 2010 5:16 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

The age of a system is no better an indicator of whether or not a drive is failing than disk utility is for determining it. And I do wish you'd stop spreading this 10-15% nonsense. It's outdated information that stopped making any real sense probably at least 5 years ago. Once upon a time, yes, but not any longer. If you have a 1TB drive, do you really think you need to keep 100-150GB free? Doesn't anyone take 5 seconds to think these things through anymore?

The startup manager bit is also completely superfluous. The system will default to booting off the internal HDD, unless you specify otherwise. So really, if you wanted to save some time, you could just hold in the power button to force the system off, then turn it back on again. Since the DVD filesystem is the active one, and it's read-only, there's almost zero risk of anything bad happening.

And honestly, Apple Hardware Test, while far from perfect, will be infinitely more useful than Disk Utility for figuring out if a drive is failing. On top of checking SMART status, AHT will actually run a quick surface scan. It reads the first 10GB of the drive to make sure there are now slow read heads. ASD is even better, as you can optionally do a full surface scan of the entire drive.

I've repaired enough "slow" systems to be able to spot a failing HDD when someone describes one. When you've repaired literally hundreds of systems for all manner of things, like I have, you develop a sort of sixth sense about a lot of common problems.

Aug 10, 2010 5:35 AM in response to Scott Billings

The age of a system is no better an indicator of whether or not a drive is failing than disk utility is for determining it. And I do wish you'd stop this 10-15% nonsense. It's outdated information that stopped making any real sense probably at least 5 years ago. Once upon a time, yes, but not any longer. If you have a 1TB drive, do you really think you need to keep 100-150GB free?

Can you provide an Apple document that backs this up?

Regards,

Roger

Aug 10, 2010 6:41 AM in response to rkaufmann87

AFAIK, it's not anything documented. Companies don't like to document this sort of thing in case they get leaked, and some person(s) with an agenda pick it up. Look at the big deal some people made over that Apple KB document recommending virus scanning software. There was some blurb the other day about a group of right leaning "activists" on Digg who were actively engaged in trying to make it so that left-leaning stories were never seen. I'm sure there's an example of people on the left doing the same thing. Just anyone who has a particular agenda, and will bend some bit of information to fit that agenda. There's a bunch of people who need a good beating in this country, thinking they're entitled to only hear news that fits their particular narrow view of the world.

As you work on systems, you start to pick up on common threads, or at least you do if you're a halfway decent tech. Someone comes in complaining of this, this, and this, and the past 50 times those three things have always resulted in replacing the HDD... You do the math.

So why not conduct an informal survey of all the techs on these forums. Apple or otherwise, since the basic troubleshooting theory is the same. Anyone who's worked professionally as a hardware tech for more than say 6 months. What say you?

And for the record, I've worked professionally as a hardware tech for about 2 years. I've been an ACMT for about 1.5 years of that.

Aug 10, 2010 7:19 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes, thanks Carolyn and Scott for some good next steps. I haven't had a chance to do these since I'm not at home in front of my computer. But I will start the process tonight.

One question: while Carolyn suggests running Apple Hardware Test off the install CD, a support doc here on the Apple site says that the AHT was installed on my computer and if I reboot, holding down the D key it should start the test. So my question is: does it matter if I use the test on the CD or on my own HD? (It would seem to me that using the CD would be better but then I ask myself, if so, why does Apple allow the test to be done by rebooting using the one on your own HD.

Aug 11, 2010 4:37 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Okay, the results of the Apple Hardware Test showed there is nothing wrong with my hardware. Then, per Carolyn's instructions I ran the Disk Utility and repaired my internal HD. It showed only that there was an Invalid Volume File Count and rechecked the volume twice before it reported that all was well.

This beach ball issue starts when I've had my computer on for days and possibly weeks without a reboot. When I do reboot all works fine.

Beach Ball seems to stop all applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.