Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset and delete bootcamp partition: No start up disk and cannot install ios and cannot find missing storage

I have an Imac late 2015 model. I upgraded and planned to reset it and delete bootcamp and the window partition off the mac and have a single storage disk of 1TB.

It's become a mess.

Firstly when I try to boot up, it cannot find the startup disk and has a ? like the first image here:

If your Mac starts up to a question mark – Apple Support (AU)

I reset go to Command+R Disk utility and connect to hotspot and my Disk utility looks like this (cannot see where the other 250GB is...which should have been my window partition through bootcamp) :

When I try to download ios, this is what I get - no start up disk to install on:

I've been trying to work this out for days and even put it in the too hard basket. I can't repair anything... When I run first aid, it does need repairs, but I cant seem to repair...

I'm at a loss of what to do - any ideas? I would just like to reset to factory settings - the entire 1TB to be unpartitioned.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 5:40 AM

Either macOS 10.12 Sierra is unable to see the newer layout of the drives which utilized a newer macOS, or the Fusion Drive has become split.

You can try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if you can boot into the macOS 12.x Monterey online installer. Unfortunately, sometimes this will still only boot to the older version of macOS.

Use this Apple article to fix a split/broken Fusion Drive, but it will destroy all data on the drives:

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 5:40 AM in response to Cinysta

Either macOS 10.12 Sierra is unable to see the newer layout of the drives which utilized a newer macOS, or the Fusion Drive has become split.

You can try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to see if you can boot into the macOS 12.x Monterey online installer. Unfortunately, sometimes this will still only boot to the older version of macOS.

Use this Apple article to fix a split/broken Fusion Drive, but it will destroy all data on the drives:

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Reset and delete bootcamp partition: No start up disk and cannot install ios and cannot find missing storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.