Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown error while installing the update

I am trying to update my iPhone to the newest version from 12.3 and I’m getting an unknown error while installing the update msg after it downloads and is trying to verify/install the update on the phone. I’ve tried prob 15 times now and it just says to try again later. Any ideas why this is happening?

iPhone SE

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 3:11 AM

You need about 7 GB device storage.

Try to free up iPhone device storage see this Apple articles below:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage?

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Check the range of the mobile network, see this Apple article: If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Check also the Wi-Fi network, see the following Apple articles:

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't update - Apple Support

You can do the update via PC, see this Apple article: Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC – Apple Support (UK)

If you have a Mac see this Apple article: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

If they are On, turn Off Hotspot & VPN.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 3:11 AM in response to Jziggs26

You need about 7 GB device storage.

Try to free up iPhone device storage see this Apple articles below:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage?

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Check the range of the mobile network, see this Apple article: If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Check also the Wi-Fi network, see the following Apple articles:

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't update - Apple Support

You can do the update via PC, see this Apple article: Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC – Apple Support (UK)

If you have a Mac see this Apple article: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

If they are On, turn Off Hotspot & VPN.

Apr 10, 2022 3:47 AM in response to Jziggs26

It’s running wont allow me to even download half the apps I usually run because it’s too old so it’s somewhat frustrating.

You may need to have a payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free. 

See this Apple article: If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

I just can’t get it to update the phone for some reason

Have you read point 4 in my post?

Try it.

Apr 10, 2022 3:24 AM in response to Raicya

I am showing a total used of 8.8 of 16 GB at this time. When I download it it says it needs a total of around 5.4(or something right around there) free space to work. My WiFi seems to be running fine and is connected and my cellular signal also seems to be working and strong. I am just borrowing this phone until I get the screen fixed on my XR but the iOS 12.3 It’s running wont allow me to even download half the apps I usually run because it’s too old so it’s somewhat frustrating. It downloads the update just fine it just throws the unknown error right before it installs it on the phone. I got this phone from my ex wife who said some guy had given it to her to use a while back. I’m wondering if it’s been jail broken or something like that and that’s what’s preventing me from installing the new update?

Unknown error while installing the update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.