Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio headphone jack

With the Mac Studio can you turn the headphone jack on and off. ore is the only way to listen with headphones is to plug them in. Sometimes I want the speakers and others headphones. Can I leave them plugged in and just turn them on when wanted and have it mute the speakers when on. Switching the output between speakers and headphones.

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 3:52 PM

No because the headphone output port contains a micro switch that disables the internal speakers. What you need to use is a USB to 3.5mm audio adapter in order to have a switchable option.

for some examples > https://www.google.com/search?

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 11, 2022 7:14 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

I have speakers connected to my external headphone output on my Studio Max. In Sound preferences I can still selected Mac Studio Speakers and that output also works.

Yea' I was thinking back a few years ago when it wasn't possible.

I also see the option to choose between internal and external on my later Mac's running Monterey.

Thank you for chiming in and setting me straight.

Apr 11, 2022 8:09 AM in response to den.thed

No. Thank you. Being a Newbie with Mac I have a lot to learn. I have not had an apple for 45 years, (Apple 1) So things have changed a lot. I still would like more info on the headphone jack. For instance can I get 5.1 output some how? I gave a Bose 5.1 setup now that I would love to keep. As good as the sound from my Studio Display is it still does not match that system. Perhaps I will have to look for a dongle to go from thunderbolt to 5.1 some how. Now I have an output with audio jacks for front/rear left/right and Centre and Sub all from my motherboard. I can rock full 5.1 output to my amp. So I will have to wait and see what comes down the pipe. You would think to purchase such a high end machine that would gave been thought of, considering apple has been synonymous with sound processing for so long.

Apr 11, 2022 9:37 AM in response to BBWEST11

Sadly Optical Digital (Toshlink) output from the output (headphone) port, was dropped several years ago on all Mac's.

What Bose 5.1 system do you have? (is it digital or analog)

For digital, you need a Mac compatible USB to Digital Audio Adapter.

usb to digital audio adapter

For analog, you need a Mac compatible USB to 5.1 Audio Converter.

usb to 5.1 audio converter

Mac Studio headphone jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.