Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Universal control

Is iy possible to transfer pdf file from my MacBook to iPad with universal control. I am trying I can drag it to iPad but I cannot transfer it. It is just really frozen

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 5:17 AM

Universal control is still in beta version, and some feature might be implemented in the future.

In order to transfer files, I'd suggest that you use Airdop instead, as per this support article:--> How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

2 replies

Apr 12, 2022 1:11 PM in response to Sudtheapple

It's possible to drag a file (or image) from a Mac to an iPad using Universal Control. The catch is, you need to drag it into an open app on the iPad that can accept that kind of file.

To demonstrate:

On the iPad side, first open the Files app and select some location (which can be either on the iPad itself, or some place in iCloud).

On the Mac click & hold the cursor on a .pdf file with your mouse, Then drag the file (actually, that'll be a copy of the file) along with the cursor over to the iPad. You might see the file name attached to the cursor, but even if you don't, you should still see a '+' sign in a green dot whenever you hover the cursor over an open app that can accept the file. Drop it there when you see that.

Notably, you cannot drop a .pdf file (or any other kind of file from the Mac) onto the Home Screen of the iPad. Unlike a Mac's Home Screen, an iPad's Home Screen doesn't accept dropped files.

Universal control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.