Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 sends emergency message to contacts

My Iphone 12 recently has been sending emergency texts to my chosen contacts about an emergency with a location, etc. There has been no calls to 911, or sound timers shown on Iphone/Apple watch. Only the texts to contacts. I have reviewed all the how to and feel pretty good that I have not activated the SOS feature, also since no 911 calls have been made. Not sure what to do. Just disable the pressing 5 times side button option but wondering since no 911 calls have been made. Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 8:57 AM

To be honest, that does sound strange. The iPhone is not supposed to send the emergency text messages until after the completion of the 911 call. I would start out with powering your iPhone off and back on again and see if that helps. If you have already done that, then try a Force Restart, Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 8:57 AM in response to kckejose

To be honest, that does sound strange. The iPhone is not supposed to send the emergency text messages until after the completion of the 911 call. I would start out with powering your iPhone off and back on again and see if that helps. If you have already done that, then try a Force Restart, Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2022 10:10 AM in response to kckejose

If it occurs again, I suggest that you contact Apple Support to report it as a possible bug. I do not recall ever seeing this reported in the past, and I'm on here daily. You can use the Get Support link at the top of the page to contact Apple Support. You can also report the possible bug by using the feedback link here, Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Apr 11, 2022 9:25 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you! I'm going to try the on/off, then the force on/off, if still ongoing, as you suggested. It may take some time to go thru the steps as it does it "randomly". For ex it did it this morning and before then a week ago, both times my wife was next to me which is how I know it happened right away so alerted others to ignore the message, which they also received. Thanks again!

Iphone 12 sends emergency message to contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.