Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Related Article: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group Text Spam - Help

I am on a group Spam text. The Text messages are grey. There is no option to remove from group text. How do I remove myself? I have currently blocked all callers.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 1:22 PM

I've never seen a grey bubble.

I have AT&T and I've received 4 such spam texts today, they all come in from an email address rather than a phone number or computer code which is what is causing the problem with the cell service providers. If you were on Verizon they would all be supposedly coming from your own provider.

I forward all of them to 7726 and when they respond asking for cell number it cam from I provide the email address. I have also contacted the FCC and my representatives in Congress.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 1:22 PM in response to Auratrek

I've never seen a grey bubble.

I have AT&T and I've received 4 such spam texts today, they all come in from an email address rather than a phone number or computer code which is what is causing the problem with the cell service providers. If you were on Verizon they would all be supposedly coming from your own provider.

I forward all of them to 7726 and when they respond asking for cell number it cam from I provide the email address. I have also contacted the FCC and my representatives in Congress.

Apr 12, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Auratrek

Hello there Auratrek,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

It looks like you're referring to an SMS/MMS group text message and not an iMessage group. That may explain why you don't see an option to report it as Junk or to leave the group. You can use this page to help double check: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

More about this is explained here: Leave a group text message on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Otherwise, you'll need to report spam or junk messages you get via SMS/MMS to your wireless carrier.

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

Apr 12, 2022 12:54 PM in response to MikeyMike57

While I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question; it provided no help. I had already read the post about SMS/MMS (green or blue bubbles) which is why I specifically stated that the text string was in grey. My intent was to learn if any other user had contacted their cellular service and if they were able to resolve it. Also would be helpful to learn which service providers have been impacted. My provider is AT&T. Are all cell providers susceptible to this clever code?

Apr 12, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Auratrek

They come and go. I will report a flurry of them and they stop for awhile and then like today they start appearing. The problem now is people respond to them thinking the sleazy spammers are actually going to pay attention to wanting to open out from hot *** and other offers so you keep getting them sent. If you are flying overseas are you going to use a SIM from the country you are visiting or use AT&Ts International plan?

Apr 12, 2022 2:32 PM in response to Auratrek

If you are going to countries that support that then their plan would be the easiest to use and let you use your phone number while about. It all depends on where you are going and what use you intend to make of your iPhone. If your phone is dual SIM and unlocked you could buy SIMs for each country your are in.

Good luck on your trip. I haven't had any offers for hot *** for the last few hours so I'm not sure I'm glad or sad. I have a VOIP line and I'm not on the Do Not Call list so I did get a call about my win in the megazillions lottery. I apparently missed the letter they sent so they want to send me 2 packages, all I have to do is sign for them. Took me an entire 5 minutes to get an f-bomb, I'm getting old.

Group Text Spam - Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.