Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default font type when replying in mail app

Is there a way to make the mail app automatically format the font type and size when the reply button is pressed? That is, when I press the reply button, I want the font type and size of the original message to change to a default font type and size. Is this possible?

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 3:10 AM

The Senders' e-mail Client formats their message font and size.

The users' ( your ) e-mail Client formats the font and size - which can be made larger and different font type - but as mentioned earlier - Change the Senders' font and size Automatically when replying - is not done.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 3:10 AM in response to Pitiger

The Senders' e-mail Client formats their message font and size.

The users' ( your ) e-mail Client formats the font and size - which can be made larger and different font type - but as mentioned earlier - Change the Senders' font and size Automatically when replying - is not done.

Apr 13, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Pitiger

Pitiger wrote:

I want the font type and size of the original message to change to a default font type and size. Is this possible?

Not with Mail app. The only way to specify the font for outgoings is by setting it for each one individually.

Users who really need to have a default option often switch to Outlook.

You can ask Apple to add the feature you want via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

May 7, 2022 5:40 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

This has been going on for decades, there are many threads on the topic. Apple doesn't appear to want to fix the problem. Every other mail app E.g. Outlook allows you to increase the text size for viewing and writing ability without impacting the Font size. While a user can change the font size for comfort viewing while typing, the the font size would be too big for the recipient and their default viewing size. Most correspondence seems to be between 10-12 font size.

Spark might be a good option.

May 7, 2022 6:48 PM in response to JohnHarvey

This has been going on for decades, there are many threads on the topic. Apple doesn't appear to want to fix the problem.

I find it to be a great feature where people cannot inundate me with garbage fonts, colors, or other useless formatting.

Every other mail app E.g. Outlook allows you to increase the text size for viewing and writing ability without impacting the Font size.

I adjust both my viewing font and my composing font in the preferences, and it doesn't affect the outbound message which is what I want.

Where I work, Outlook is forced to show plain text by default. Finally I don't have to see what someone else thinks is cute.

May 11, 2022 5:30 AM in response to JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey wrote:

Hmm...I tested that from one account to another and the font and size reflect as seen in the outgoing email. Am I missing something?

It's not clear exactly how you tested. If you set the Message font in Mail > Preferences > Fonts and Colors to something large and distinctive, and then compose a short message and send it (without setting anything again in the new message pane), and the do View > Message > Raw Source on the copy in your Sent folder, you should see that the html codes do not mention the font name or size.

In your Sent folder the text will look like the preference settings you made, but because there are no html codes for those in the source, a recipient email app on another machine will not know what they are.

Default font type when replying in mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.