Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to Mac Studio M1 Max from 2012 MBP

I will be migrating from a late 2012 MBP with latest Catalina OS. Should I use Migration Assistant for my applications or install individual apps from developers sites onto Mac Studio? Also what should I allow MA to transfer to my new Mac Studio? IS there a detailed support document on my migration topic?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 8:51 AM

The time capsule device has Three Ethernet ports in addition to its Ethernet Trunk.

If you already have your old Mac backed up to the Time capsule, you just have to connect the Time capsule to Network with Ethernet, and connect your new Mac studio to your Network with Ethernet, if you do not already have an Ethernet connection in place.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 8:51 AM in response to Billinpa

The time capsule device has Three Ethernet ports in addition to its Ethernet Trunk.

If you already have your old Mac backed up to the Time capsule, you just have to connect the Time capsule to Network with Ethernet, and connect your new Mac studio to your Network with Ethernet, if you do not already have an Ethernet connection in place.

Apr 12, 2022 7:20 AM in response to Billinpa

Migration is best done during the initial new Mac setup.

Migration will move all of your user data into the new macOS.

The new macOS will not run the old macOS App's and/or outdated third App's.

Depending on the third party App, some may need updating and others may need to be replaced.

The fastest, easiest, reliable way, is to Migrate from your 2012 MBPs Time Machine backup drive.

The slowest second best way, is to Migrate is using a direct Ethernet connection.

The least reliable way, is to Migrate over your local Wi-Fi network.

see > Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Apr 12, 2022 7:33 AM in response to Billinpa

Migration from an older Mac is not a special case -- it is the usual case.

The most trouble-fee migration is at First Run. Instead of creating a new account, you import the original info from your old Mac or its backups.

Apple ignores the hardest part, which is to find a transfer medium that will not take DAYS to transfer (Wi-FI is too slow, even if the two Macs are placed side-by-side).

MacBook Pro late 2012 is the first of its model-year to Drop the Ethernet port, but Apples sells either a USB-A to Ethernet or ThunderBolt-2 to Ethernet (for your older MacBook Pro) for US$29. There is also a USB-C version, but that would require an additional adapter (to USB-A) for the MacBook Pro late 2012, and may have issues.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Apr 12, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Billinpa

I went from a 2013 Mac Pro to a Studio Max. I first migration assistant during initial setup of the Studio but that stopped after about 15 minutes. I terminated the migration and continued setup. I then used Migration Assistant and tried again. After starting it informed me that there was some data with same users and what to do with it. I selected delete the old stuff or something. Then migration successfully completed. I was lucky is that I upgraded to a NVMe drive on the MP. I just placed the NVMe drive in an USB-c enclosure and connected to the Studio. Migration only took about 25 minutes.

Apr 12, 2022 8:34 AM in response to lllaass

So its been suggested to choose time machine backups in the migration process. Mine still resides on a old Mac Time Capsule which is connected to wi-fi. First should i use time machine backup? Then to avoid issues with wifi, should i connect time Capsule to my old MBP and remove wifi connection? With that set up and a direct connection to my Mac Studio will MA pull data from my old MBP and TimeMachine Time Capsule??

Migration to Mac Studio M1 Max from 2012 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.