Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dial Assist

Hello.

My dad uses the dial assist feature on his iPhone 12 so he doesn't have to put in the area code when he makes calls. A few weeks ago it stopped working even though Dial Assist is on in Settings. This bothers him because he doesn't put the area code when he is creating contacts and it takes too long to fix his contacts because he has a lot. Any ideas why this is happening. His iPhone is running iOS 15.3.1 and his cell carrier is AT&T

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 10:22 AM

Because of the increased number of phones, numbers, and area codes, most calls now will require the area code when dialed. Dial Assist will usually help with the Country Codes, it will not substitute your Area Codes. This is how it is for me with AT&T in my home state of Illinois. If you attempt to dial the number without the area code, you will receive a recorded message from AT&T stating you need to add it. I currently have, and have always had Dial Assist turned on. If his carrier is AT&T, have him check with the local AT&T office, however, I believe you will find he will need to dial the area code, or just look up the contact he is trying to call and just tap on the number, so long as he has entered the area code on the contact. This is the way it is going to be now.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 10:22 AM in response to MrTech_123

Because of the increased number of phones, numbers, and area codes, most calls now will require the area code when dialed. Dial Assist will usually help with the Country Codes, it will not substitute your Area Codes. This is how it is for me with AT&T in my home state of Illinois. If you attempt to dial the number without the area code, you will receive a recorded message from AT&T stating you need to add it. I currently have, and have always had Dial Assist turned on. If his carrier is AT&T, have him check with the local AT&T office, however, I believe you will find he will need to dial the area code, or just look up the contact he is trying to call and just tap on the number, so long as he has entered the area code on the contact. This is the way it is going to be now.

Dial Assist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.