Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie / QT compatibility with AAC- HEVC video files

hello, unable to open a video downloaded from a webinar plateform (AAC, HEVC) with QT or iMovie. QT says : "file contains some content that are not compatibles with QT". When open, the file seems to be only audio... But VLC can handle the video.

Any hint on what's wrong with this file or the Apple softwares ..?

Thanks for any information - Guillaume

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 1:17 PM

I just now successfully opened and played a HEVC/AAC file in both QT Player and iMovie. I'm running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave 10.14.6.

Codecs can be rendered slightly differently by different producers. Possibly your webinar platform clip has something in the codecs that makes it incompatible with QT and iMovie.

To test, try creating a HEVC/AAC video on your cell phone and place it on your Mac desktop. Then see if you can drag it into iMovie and also play it in QT Player.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 1:17 PM in response to Guillaume Betbeder

I just now successfully opened and played a HEVC/AAC file in both QT Player and iMovie. I'm running iMovie 10.1.12 on Mojave 10.14.6.

Codecs can be rendered slightly differently by different producers. Possibly your webinar platform clip has something in the codecs that makes it incompatible with QT and iMovie.

To test, try creating a HEVC/AAC video on your cell phone and place it on your Mac desktop. Then see if you can drag it into iMovie and also play it in QT Player.

-- Rich

May 2, 2022 6:13 AM in response to Rich839

Hello Rich, and thanks for your answer. I'm using a Monterey OS (12.2.1) with iMovie in 10.3.2.

No problem with opening an iPhone file with either QT or iMovie. But not ok with the HEVC/AAC video downloaded.

For the moment, we manage to work around the pb using Adobe Premiere, which can handle the file... (@Apple, any update in sight regarding those file formats ..?)

Guillaume

May 2, 2022 10:13 AM in response to Guillaume Betbeder

You might try eliminating the HEVC. There is no setting in iMovie to export in HEVC anyway.

iPhone 7 and later use HEVC format by default.  You can change your settings on your iPhone to H.264, the most compatible format. Go to Settings>Camera>Formats. Uncheck high efficiency and check maximum compatibility.  This will not change the clips you have already recorded, just future ones.   For your present clips, go to Settings>Photos for Mac and pc transfer. Uncheck "keep originals".  Check automatic. On transfer, this will convert your clips automatically into a compatible format.

-- Rich

iMovie / QT compatibility with AAC- HEVC video files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.