Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Install?

I've been trying to upgrade to Monterey on my MacBook Air Retina 13", 2018 for some time now and every time I try it tells me I need up to 28G of additional space to install. It's almost impossible to get that much space without moving a bunch of files to a remote disc. The install file itself is 12G.

What gives? Why so much memory needed? Pretty frustrated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 6:45 AM

You may have to move some files to an external drive.

However, see: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

As far as why so much needed space, the space is needed to move system files around while installing.

2 replies

Apr 13, 2022 6:53 AM in response to ddelaquila

Is the Internal Drive the tiny 128 GB variety ?

If so, Apple should have never made that available at time of Purchase. It is almost useless for any meaningful usage IMHO.

How may upGrades have been performed since getting the computer ?

Did the computer come with Mojave and upGraded to Catalina and then Big Sur ?

The accumulated effects of several upgrades will take its toll on the available Empty Space available on the drive.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Monterey Install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.