Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac logine

Hi

My IMac wont let me type a password to login on either user account

everything looks normal when I try to login except there is no cursor and I can’t type

the keyboard works and I can use it while in recovery mode

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:08 AM

13 replies

Apr 13, 2022 8:35 AM in response to Rver88

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link.

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

Next, please restart normally and please retest.

Apr 13, 2022 12:42 PM in response to Rver88

Okay, this is VERY easy to do.

1. Restart the computer in the Recovery Partition. To do that, please hold down Command + R on startup until it starts up. If you are using a wireless keyboard, plug it in or use any USB keyboard.
  2. Once in the Recovery Partition open the Terminal app, HINT look in the menus for Terminal.
  3. Type resetpassword and follow the on-screen prompts.

Apr 13, 2022 2:25 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you. This did not fix my initial problem however by doing this I was able to eliminate the password on one account so that when I click on it I can login without typing a password. Once logged in I was able to run system optimization then restarted and now it accepts my password on the other account! Thanks again for your help!

iMac logine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.