Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 .1 gen2 via Adaptor

Hi:

I have an (oldish) iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with Thunderbolt 2.

I just bought a LaCie d2 professional 10TB external harddrive that has a single USB 3.2 gen 2 connector.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter:

The drive is externally powered.

Problem: when I connect the iMac to the LaCie via the adapter nothing happens (no blue light when clicking the front button).

Yet when I connect my new M1 MBP to the drive directly with a Thunderbolt 4 cable all works fine.

Does the adapter not work when going from Thunderbolt 2?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 9:23 AM

Your machine supports USB 3 which is quite fast! You did not state how you intend to use EHD, for most day to day work USB is plenty fast. If you are a video or music professional then yes, Thunderbolt would save you time (which = money) and you should use that. However I am guessing you are not a video or music professional otherwise you would be using more up-to-date hardware.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 9:23 AM in response to CharPatton1

Your machine supports USB 3 which is quite fast! You did not state how you intend to use EHD, for most day to day work USB is plenty fast. If you are a video or music professional then yes, Thunderbolt would save you time (which = money) and you should use that. However I am guessing you are not a video or music professional otherwise you would be using more up-to-date hardware.

Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 .1 gen2 via Adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.