Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get my Mac to unlock with my Apple Watch.

I can't get my Mac to unlock with my Apple Watch. I have an iPhone 11, Watch SE and M1 Macbook Air. I tried restarting all devices and I do have my watch on my wrist and iPhone is unlocked when I try this. I used to work on my old Macbook Pro and now it isn't.

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 8

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 3:41 PM

Let me guess, when you try to select "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac", it reports "unable to communicate with Apple Watch" even though it is on your wrist, unlocked, and all the numerous system requirements are met. Is that correct?

For reference, please review all the steps in Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support including "How to set up Auto Unlock." Then, confirm you already tried the two suggestions under "Learn More."

Specifically (emphasis added):

• In Security & Privacy preferences, deselect ”Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac,” then restart your Mac and turn this setting back on.
  • Make sure that your Mac isn't using Internet sharing or screen sharing.

If you exhaust every possible solution in that Support document and it still isn't working, I suggest you forget about it for at least 24 hours. Because that's what I did, and a day or two later it just started working again. I did nothing.

🤷🏻‍♂️

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 3:41 PM in response to Obdus

Let me guess, when you try to select "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac", it reports "unable to communicate with Apple Watch" even though it is on your wrist, unlocked, and all the numerous system requirements are met. Is that correct?

For reference, please review all the steps in Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support including "How to set up Auto Unlock." Then, confirm you already tried the two suggestions under "Learn More."

Specifically (emphasis added):

• In Security & Privacy preferences, deselect ”Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac,” then restart your Mac and turn this setting back on.
  • Make sure that your Mac isn't using Internet sharing or screen sharing.

If you exhaust every possible solution in that Support document and it still isn't working, I suggest you forget about it for at least 24 hours. Because that's what I did, and a day or two later it just started working again. I did nothing.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 13, 2022 3:48 PM in response to John Galt

Yup. I followed this article when doing this. Checked that it was supported, made sure I wasn't sharing internet or screen, restarted things, clicked on the thing again, made sure two-factor authentication was on on my Mac. All of it. I'll wait for tomorrow and see if it works then. I appreciate the detailed response though!

Apr 13, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Obdus

Once you get used to "unlock with Apple Watch" it's unbearable when it doesn't work. Give it a day or two.

I have induced the problem on affected Macs by booting a different operating system or restoring a Time Machine backup, but the root cause is not immediately evident. I never received a satisfactory explanation for its failure to work, but in each case it eventually started working again. Apple needs to fix it, or explain the need to wait a while (if it's really required).

I can't get my Mac to unlock with my Apple Watch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.