Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos "curation" process doesn't load all (or in separate case, any) photos from the pre-existing Photos System photolibrary.

After an upgrade to Monterey from Mojave, Photos won't load my complete photolibrary. Upon first start of Photos under Monterey, it went through a lengthy "curating" process that had to be interrupted. Now the library is missing at least the last two years of albums, videos, and imported photos (nothing after Dec. 2020). I don't know if other earlier albums/photos are missing too. I had both a TimeMachine backup and a manual backup to an external drive before the OS upgrade. However, under the new OS, TimeMachine won't recognize backups made under Mojave, even though my user credentials remain the same, and simply replacing the Monterey mistake with the manual backup copy of my original photolibrary in the current Pictures folder doesn't solve the problem - still no photos/albums/videos after Dec. 2020. None of the Photos Help guidance to restore or repair a library helps in this case. Is there a way to clear Photo's "memory" so that the initial curation process can be repeated as if the first one, that was interrupted, never happened? Any other suggestions? Incidentally, I've just discovered a similar problem with Photos on a different computer that was upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur, except here the Photos curation process (which was not interrupted) doesn't load ANY photos, albums, or videos from that computer's System Photo Library.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 10:53 AM

Hey cathy scotto,

We'd suggest checking to see if you have multiple photo libraries on your Mac. This article explains how: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos

We'd also recommend reviewing the information here: If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app

Thanks!

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 20, 2022 10:20 AM in response to WinsC1

Thank you WinsC1 for your reply. The article on designating a System Photo Library helped me compare additional backed up versions of the Photos Library. By necessity, I don't use iCloud, so to restore missing photos, I wound up loading the most complete library and then re-creating the missing albums by importing the photos I'd previously exported. A bit tedious, but it's done, and the original photo creation dates and times were preserved. Thank you for stepping up to offer your suggestions!

Photos "curation" process doesn't load all (or in separate case, any) photos from the pre-existing Photos System photolibrary.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.