Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Update

My system tells me it has an update and when I try to install the OS update it says "An Error Occurred".

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 8:24 PM

Hi,

Try booting into Safe Mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support and update there.

9 replies

Apr 16, 2022 8:01 AM in response to tomwhitmore

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Apr 16, 2022 12:18 PM in response to tomwhitmore

The iMac is qualified to receive the upgrade, so you would want to carefully review each of the 7 tips in the previous post by P.Phillips.

If still no luck......and as a last resort before you head to the Genius Bar......I would try Disk Utility - First Aid on both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data to detect and repair any possible disk errors on either or both volumes, since the Genius Bar will likely do that first when you take the iMac to the Apple Store.

Worst case......and I have been there.......it may be necessary to erase the iMac's hard drive and reinstall the operating system again, before you can upgrade to Monterey. Be sure to back up before you take the iMac in to Apple.

OS Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.