Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App cache

Greetings, fellas!

I have a question. My iPhone recently has been running slowly. I realize that I have been using it for a long time and the cache are piling up. It doesn’t seem like Apple’s iOS provides any systematic way to clear cache for every app like Android does. Is there any workaround to do so other than deleting the apps once in a while?

Thank you!

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 1:42 AM

KhaiPB wrote: "I have been using my device for a very long time without clearing anything, or even shut it down, all the facebook, youtube, social media scrolling would pile up the cache in the storage. And if that is the case, I just want to know if there is any “easy way” to “empty the bin”..."

Do this:

Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data

...And then this:

Restart your iPhone

õ¿õ¬

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 1:42 AM in response to KhaiPB

KhaiPB wrote: "I have been using my device for a very long time without clearing anything, or even shut it down, all the facebook, youtube, social media scrolling would pile up the cache in the storage. And if that is the case, I just want to know if there is any “easy way” to “empty the bin”..."

Do this:

Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data

...And then this:

Restart your iPhone

õ¿õ¬

Apr 15, 2022 2:38 AM in response to KhaiPB

KhaiPB wrote: "I changed battery once since it was at low capacity to the point it was hard to keep the phone alive in a day. Now it’s about 80%."

80% capacity is not healthy and so if clearing Safari and the Restart doesn't speed things up, have the battery replaced:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Apr 14, 2022 1:08 AM in response to KhaiPB

Apple do not provide it because is is not necessary.

If you want to remove all app data, then remove the app, restart the phone, and install it again.

However it is unlikely to be the reason for slowness. Use of security apps is the most likely reason.

Settings, general, iPhone storage will give you the storage used by apps so yo can check errant apps like Telegram for massive data storage.

Apr 15, 2022 12:58 AM in response to LD150

I have none of that. I suspect that because I have been using my device for a very long time without clearing anything, or even shut it down, all the facebook, youtube, social media scrolling would pile up the cache in the storage. And if that is the case, I just want to know if there is any “easy way” to “empty the bin”, just like we use CCleaner on PC from time to time.

But yeah, I guess for iOS, it’s different.

Thank you for your reply!

Apr 15, 2022 2:18 AM in response to KhaiPB

There are no cleaner apps that will do anything but damage on iphones or Macs.

Clearing caches usually slow the device down when caches have to be re-built, even on PCs

The only reason to clear caches is as Alancito recommended for browsers to remove malignant cookies that throw up adverts.

App cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.