Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage

How can I move my iPhone storage to my iCloud. I already backed up but it still says all my iPhone storage is used when I have 200gb of iCloud

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 11:02 AM

iCloud can only help in a limited way with a shortage of storage on an iPhone (with iCloud Photos Optimize storage).

iCloud Backup does not remove any data from the iPhone.

See information in What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support (PH)

To turn on iCloud Photos, see the instructions in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support including the "If you need more device storage" section.

Be aware that iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2022 11:02 AM in response to nyda34

iCloud can only help in a limited way with a shortage of storage on an iPhone (with iCloud Photos Optimize storage).

iCloud Backup does not remove any data from the iPhone.

See information in What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support (PH)

To turn on iCloud Photos, see the instructions in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support including the "If you need more device storage" section.

Be aware that iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Apr 14, 2022 11:03 AM in response to nyda34

You can’t move all iPhone storage to the iCloud , iPhone storage and iCloud storage are not the same ,, what it’s in iCloud stays there and what it’s in the iPhone like the iOS apps settings it’s in iCloud and all your downloaded apps settings what you can do is free space storage from your the iPhone likeathe texts messages but for a better look go to settings/general/iPhone storage and wait to all info it’s loaded then you can see apps that are using large data info then you can delete what you don’t need

iPhone storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.