Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I buy an iPhone from Apple is it unlocked and can be used with GSM OR CDMA carriers?

when I buy an iPhone from Apple is it unlocked and can be used with GSM OR CDMA carriers?

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 4:48 PM

All current models of iPhone will work on any carrier as they have dual cellular modems (look in the online tech specs under cellular and wireless). And in todays world of 4G LTE and 5G the old designations of GSM versus CDMA really no longer apply in any practical sense.

Whether the iPhone is sold unlocked will vary by where in the world you buy it. In the USA if you buy direct from Apple and pay for the device in full, it will be carrier unlocked (even if you have it preconfigured for your current carrier).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2022 4:48 PM in response to justresearching

All current models of iPhone will work on any carrier as they have dual cellular modems (look in the online tech specs under cellular and wireless). And in todays world of 4G LTE and 5G the old designations of GSM versus CDMA really no longer apply in any practical sense.

Whether the iPhone is sold unlocked will vary by where in the world you buy it. In the USA if you buy direct from Apple and pay for the device in full, it will be carrier unlocked (even if you have it preconfigured for your current carrier).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.