Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Documents folder from iCloud Files

Years ago, I set up my MacBook Pro to backup my documents and all of the contents of my Pictures directory onto iCloud Drive. The problem is that this data has grown so large, it takes years to actually back this all up onto the iCloud. Especially since I've moved to a new computer recently.

That makes iCloud significantly less useful as a backup and generally it's a pain for it to be constantly uploading files in the background. At the upload rate from my ISP, this will take actual years to accomplish!

So, I would like to remove my "Documents" folder and my "Pictures" folder from the iCloud Drive. My issue is that some of the documentation I read says that this will cause the "Documents" and "Pictures" folders on my MAC TO BE DELETED TOO!

Horrors!

Is this true, or can I just delete these enormous directories from my iCloud Drive without consequence?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 12:45 PM

Hi, Mark Stockwell.

Disabling iCloud Drive would remove that content. What you would need to do, is make a copy of the data in all locations iCloud Drive is currently using, and store it elsewhere.

This way, the content stored elsewhere will not be affected. Once iCloud Drive is disabled, you can move the content back to the previous folders with iCloud Drive disabled.

We hope that clears things up.

Cheers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 12:45 PM in response to Mark Stockwell

Hi, Mark Stockwell.

Disabling iCloud Drive would remove that content. What you would need to do, is make a copy of the data in all locations iCloud Drive is currently using, and store it elsewhere.

This way, the content stored elsewhere will not be affected. Once iCloud Drive is disabled, you can move the content back to the previous folders with iCloud Drive disabled.

We hope that clears things up.

Cheers.

Removing Documents folder from iCloud Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.