Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Animation

Hello everyone,

Im having a little issue with text animations with the build in and out feature, its behaving very strange especially with the build out as it will just not animate and the text just disappears without any animation halfway through the length of the text in the timeline. this does only happen when I change the lengths of how long the text is in the timeline, I have decreased the in and out duration to 10 so they should not clash and even when I make the length of the time the text is in the timeline it will just disappear halfway through.

Any help is appreciated

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2022 10:32 AM

I'll try to help you make sense of it —

Several of the "built in" FCP title effects, specifically those that rely on "Sequence Text" behaviors, are designed so that the Out animations specific to one of the behaviors begins at just past the midpoint in the Title and have a "life" that ends at the end of the title. Animation specifics for individual Sequence Text Behaviors are usually retimed/shortened by offsetting the "End Offset" parameter which results in the end of the animation occurring *before* the actual physical end of the Title. (Maybe this illustration will help):

The "build in" marker marks the end of the forced timing span of the Title project. Everything from that marker will be "stretched" (or compressed) in time depending on the length of time the title is set up for in the storyline (in FCP).

The Out Duration would be the setting you apply in FCP and the brace illustrates where in time that duration executes (based on the design of the title's parameters provided to the user.) Shorter durations increase the offset from the end of the behavior. The grayed out section past the red line is what gets "cut off" in FCP.

I made a fix for this awhile back and you can download it here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads/ (Title name is Custom - SC).

Changes made:

The Build In Marker has been removed — all timing will rely on the length of the Title in the Storyline.

Both In and Out sequencing may be timed for 100% of the duration of the Title (and overlap if you like!)

Parameter values for durations have been converted to "% of length of title" - if the Title is 10 seconds long, then 10% = 1 second, etc. [It's easy to set the parameter sliders visually with respect to time length — you can just "see it" and not have to think about numerical values it too much.]

Out sequence has the *starting time* delayed for shorter durations (offset from the beginning) so that the animations end on the last frame.

HTH

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2022 10:32 AM in response to wilhelm273

I'll try to help you make sense of it —

Several of the "built in" FCP title effects, specifically those that rely on "Sequence Text" behaviors, are designed so that the Out animations specific to one of the behaviors begins at just past the midpoint in the Title and have a "life" that ends at the end of the title. Animation specifics for individual Sequence Text Behaviors are usually retimed/shortened by offsetting the "End Offset" parameter which results in the end of the animation occurring *before* the actual physical end of the Title. (Maybe this illustration will help):

The "build in" marker marks the end of the forced timing span of the Title project. Everything from that marker will be "stretched" (or compressed) in time depending on the length of time the title is set up for in the storyline (in FCP).

The Out Duration would be the setting you apply in FCP and the brace illustrates where in time that duration executes (based on the design of the title's parameters provided to the user.) Shorter durations increase the offset from the end of the behavior. The grayed out section past the red line is what gets "cut off" in FCP.

I made a fix for this awhile back and you can download it here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads/ (Title name is Custom - SC).

Changes made:

The Build In Marker has been removed — all timing will rely on the length of the Title in the Storyline.

Both In and Out sequencing may be timed for 100% of the duration of the Title (and overlap if you like!)

Parameter values for durations have been converted to "% of length of title" - if the Title is 10 seconds long, then 10% = 1 second, etc. [It's easy to set the parameter sliders visually with respect to time length — you can just "see it" and not have to think about numerical values it too much.]

Out sequence has the *starting time* delayed for shorter durations (offset from the beginning) so that the animations end on the last frame.

HTH

Apr 15, 2022 5:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

to be honest most of them act very weird with the out animation, I wanted to use custom and the text is in the timeline for 4 seconds and the out animation happens at 2:45 and finishes at 2:50 and even if I make it longer the animation is still roughly halfway through. it is as if its keeping the start the build out so if the build out duration is set to 60 it still has time to animate all of that. The custom title is the only one that really animates on the other ones such as Fade it just disappears and doesn't fade.

May 21, 2022 6:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

As you can see from the video the out duration doesn't make any sense, I've set the duration to the max and it basically instantly disperse, it seeps like its got a mind of its own and it makes it really frustrating to work with, this is only an example and there are more things with the text that don't work, I mean I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but I would love to know so I can learn as I'm not getting it to work how I want it too

I'm not too familiar with using motion and how to get the text from one to the other

https://youtu.be/Vdvv6jHZxxo

Text Animation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.