Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio 10G Ethernet stops working

I'm seeing that the ethernet on my new Mac Studio stops responding occasionally. It's happened ~2 times per day the last few days. The only thing that seems to fix it is unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable. It's not the cable or switch. Is there anywhere in the system info or console where I can get more information to properly debug this issue?

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 1:09 PM

Hi there j4ys0n,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. If having issues with your internet connection not responding unexpectedly, give the steps listed in the following resource below a try that can help:

Solve internet connection problems on Mac - Apple Support

Since not using Wi-Fi be sure to go through the sections "Check the status of your network connections" and "Check your cables and external devices".

If unable to find any issues after going through the steps above, let's also test the issue in safe mode with the steps in this next link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Safe mode is a great way to help see if an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

After testing the issue in safe mode, be sure to go through the additional sections depending on if the issue does or doesn't occur while in safe mode.

Keep us updated on the results.

Best regards.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 1:09 PM in response to j4ys0n

Hi there j4ys0n,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. If having issues with your internet connection not responding unexpectedly, give the steps listed in the following resource below a try that can help:

Solve internet connection problems on Mac - Apple Support

Since not using Wi-Fi be sure to go through the sections "Check the status of your network connections" and "Check your cables and external devices".

If unable to find any issues after going through the steps above, let's also test the issue in safe mode with the steps in this next link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Safe mode is a great way to help see if an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

After testing the issue in safe mode, be sure to go through the additional sections depending on if the issue does or doesn't occur while in safe mode.

Keep us updated on the results.

Best regards.

Apr 18, 2022 5:31 PM in response to j4ys0n

I have the same problem with a Mac Studio Ultra I purchased last Thursday as I've seen it disconnect multiple times a day over the hard-wired ethernet connection, interrupting streaming and peer to peer video connections. I've disabled "limit IP Address Tracking" in the network setting for the ethernet adapter this afternoon and have not had a disconnection event since.

I've never had an issue with the cable or the router, so this is either a software configuration issue or a problem with the ethernet adapter in the hardware.

Apr 18, 2022 7:31 PM in response to thomas fessler

For troubleshooting sake it's always best to use known good hardware. That said, swap out one piece at a time. So eliminate one cable with another completely different, unused cable and see if the problem persists. If issue persists, move on to the next possible cause of the issue.

Pro tip* take a clean, dry, toothbrush and gently clean the gold contacts on the male ends of the ethernet cable. If visually dirty upon inspection after dry scrubbing, lightly dab toothbrush bristles in isopropyl alcohol and again, gently scrub each rj45 male end a couple times. Set aside for a few minutes until dry. Do not insert back into a LAN port whilst wet.

Ethernet cables do not last forever. If the clip that holds it into the socket is broken, replace it. If there are any visual kinks in the cable sheath, replace it. They are not expensive. I would suggest purchasing category six (cat6 gigabit) or higher.

If you are noticing connectivity issues aside from aforementioned tips and able to visualize connecting Network Equipment, verify they are not powering down, as that is also a common issue. Power supplies fail quite often. It doesn't matter if it is a cheap $100 home router or a $20,000+ network appliance. Plugged power supplies run 24/7 and simply fail sometimes sooner than later. It is not uncommon for a power supply to shut down and turn itself back on. I hope that helps. Be well

Apr 18, 2022 7:56 PM in response to j4ys0n

I've been waiting for the issue to occur again, but it hasn't happened in the last few days.

I do know my hardware and cables are good. I've tested. I run a private cloud with a combination of Ubiquiti and Mirotik hardware. There are zero issues other than this.

Checking the IP address assignment of the internal NIC is a good idea - that's what I'll check first when this happens again.

I also have a theory that this has to do with PCIe/Thunderbolt. I had all sorts of issues until I realized there was an issue with one of them. I use a few different TB storage devices, and leave an OWC 4M2 connected. There's another NVMe drive I'd like to leave connected also - but I've had that disconnected for the last few days. Since then - I haven't seen the issue. Could be related, could be a coincidence. If it is related, I suspect there's a larger problem with the M1 platform and TB (which I've heard rumors of). There are zero issues when all of this stuff is connected to my Intel MBP.

Apr 19, 2022 5:07 PM in response to j4ys0n

I see the exact same issue (Mac Studio Ultra). It occurs after the system has been online for longer than at least 20 hours. The Ethernet port is not able to resolve any names. If I disable the ethernet port using Settings > Network. And then enable it again (switching from Dhcp to Off and back to Dhcp), it works again. That clearly shows the connector and the cable are fine.

This is clearly a software driver issue that needs to be resolved.

As I see other questions here in the thread. All other devices on the same Ethernet network work just fine. Also Wifi on the same Mac Studio system does not have this issue.

Apr 21, 2022 2:30 PM in response to j4ys0n

I have the exact same issue where it will disconnect, almost always after my screen/Mac has gone to sleep and then will take at least three minutes to come back to life.

I've had the Studio since launch and it didn't do this initially, has only started happening in the last week. I am running 10GbE but the problem also occurs if I switch to a 1GbE network port.

Apr 27, 2022 11:05 AM in response to j4ys0n

I have a Mac Studio Ultra and it happens to me on occasion. It is very frustrating. All my other electronics work well on the network, my wifes PC, my iPad Pro, iPhone 13 pro

I rebooted several times with little luck, finally I did a sutdown and restarted That seemed to work for this time. ope Apple comes up with a solution soon

Mac Studio 10G Ethernet stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.