Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Severe ghost touching!

I have an iPhone 7+ for about 2 years currently and I physically cannot use it half of the time

Around a year ago my phone started to press random keys by itself and I just wiped the screen- that usually did the job however now it’s uncontrollable. It’s only on my left side of my screen, my right is completely fine. I will hover about my left side and my phone goes crazy! Opening apps and closing them, completely changing my text, sometimes going completely frozen and even while writing this it’s currently happening, I have to leave my phone for about 5-10mins before I can continue. My phone isn’t cracked at all but I’ve dropped it a couple times in the past however everything’s work on my phone but the left side. It constantly happens randomly especially at the wrong times such as entering passwords, it’s unbearable at this point and I don’t know what to do. Can someone please help? Thank you!!

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 5:37 PM

Most of the time it's a result of the digitizer (that converts screen contact to electronic inputs) failing. I've seen it before. The general fix is to replace the front screen assembly. A rarer issue is called "touch disease" and comes from the connections to the touch control chip failing. That is generally fixed by Apple with an entire device replacement.

It's almost always a hardware fault, with the only fix being hardware repair or complete replacement.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 5:37 PM in response to Vikeze

Most of the time it's a result of the digitizer (that converts screen contact to electronic inputs) failing. I've seen it before. The general fix is to replace the front screen assembly. A rarer issue is called "touch disease" and comes from the connections to the touch control chip failing. That is generally fixed by Apple with an entire device replacement.

It's almost always a hardware fault, with the only fix being hardware repair or complete replacement.

Severe ghost touching!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.