Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Was there a recent change to the Mail program?

There used to be a mailbox in the Mail Sidebar where any emails that I deleted would appear, and they would stay in that mailbox until I logged out of the Mail program. There is no mailbox in the Sidebar now where deleted emails are placed. Occasionally, after deleting an email, I needed to take another look at it, and I could click on that deleted mailbox and, if necessary, move that email back into the Inbox.

Anyone know why that mailbox no longer shows. I can't find anyway to bring it up, and deleted emails do not show in the Trash mailboxes in the Sidebar, or anywhere else?

All the best,

Bob

iMac 21.5″ 4K, 12.2

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 3:30 PM

Robert Winckler wrote:
iMac 21.5″ 4K, 12.2

Hi Leroy,
Nothing seems to work. I don't use iCloud, and although I added a new mailbox (All Trash) to the Favorites section of the Sidebar, nothing has changed. If I delete an incoming email, it no longer appears in any mailbox nor in the Trash bucket at the bottom of the Dock. I couldn't find anything in Mail Preferences regarding "Auto Delete." It didn't appear to be an option under any of the Mail Preference topics. But thanks, I'll keep trying.
Bob

For problem with anomalies in Mail—

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

• IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

• POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

• "On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

——————————————————————

In Monterey there are many issues with the new features and would be worth a try and see if there is a relationship here—unlikely but simple enough...

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy disable:

“Protect Mail Activity” /

“Hide IP address” /

“Block all remote content”

Use Mail Privacy Protection on Mac - Apple Support

I would also verify your software is up to date the current stable release Monterey macOS 12.3.1

unlikely correlated but recommended—

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

----------------------

I do remember some similar issue was resolved in the same preferences as above

—change trash to on my mac(?)

toggle the change and test. Maybe quit Mail and relaunch. Toggle back and test(?)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 3:30 PM in response to Robert Winckler

Robert Winckler wrote:
iMac 21.5″ 4K, 12.2

Hi Leroy,
Nothing seems to work. I don't use iCloud, and although I added a new mailbox (All Trash) to the Favorites section of the Sidebar, nothing has changed. If I delete an incoming email, it no longer appears in any mailbox nor in the Trash bucket at the bottom of the Dock. I couldn't find anything in Mail Preferences regarding "Auto Delete." It didn't appear to be an option under any of the Mail Preference topics. But thanks, I'll keep trying.
Bob

For problem with anomalies in Mail—

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

• IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

• POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

• "On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

——————————————————————

In Monterey there are many issues with the new features and would be worth a try and see if there is a relationship here—unlikely but simple enough...

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy disable:

“Protect Mail Activity” /

“Hide IP address” /

“Block all remote content”

I would also verify your software is up to date the current stable release Monterey macOS 12.3.1

unlikely correlated but recommended—

----------------------

I do remember some similar issue was resolved in the same preferences as above

—change trash to on my mac(?)

toggle the change and test. Maybe quit Mail and relaunch. Toggle back and test(?)

Apr 16, 2022 2:42 PM in response to Robert Winckler

Robert Winckler wrote:

There used to be a mailbox in the Mail Sidebar where any emails that I deleted would appear, and they would stay in that mailbox until I logged out of the Mail program.

There is no mailbox in the Sidebar now where deleted emails are placed. Occasionally, after deleting an email, I needed to take another look at it, and I could click on that deleted mailbox and, if necessary, move that email back into the Inbox.

Anyone know why that mailbox no longer shows. I can't find anyway to bring it up, and deleted emails do not show in the Trash mailboxes in the Sidebar, or anywhere else?
All the best,
Bob

I would never advise to have mail set to auto delete...maybe it is just me.

Verify your Mail >Preferences>Accounts>mailbox behavior> Trash make some change for each account

If you do not see the Mailbox— add it in

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Apr 16, 2022 3:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy,

Bob

Was there a recent change to the Mail program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.