Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it illegal to jailbreak your iPhone?

i know it is not illigal to put linux on a windows machine. The cables i use for my apple products dont work anymore after update, how to patch this? Is there a jailbreak workaround it or some sort of patch. It is very annoying, because only my old iphones are still working with my cables....

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 4:32 PM

Not likely, at least in the United States. The purpose of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act was meant to prevent the illegal copying of copyrighted materials, such as piracy of video content. There have been some claims that jailbreaking may be a DMCA violation.

However, I'm not an attorney, so take what I've stated in that context.

It is pretty clear that if someone jailbreaks a device, that the manufacturer won't be liable for repairs that are related to it working outside of design parameters.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 4:32 PM in response to arjangroen

Not likely, at least in the United States. The purpose of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act was meant to prevent the illegal copying of copyrighted materials, such as piracy of video content. There have been some claims that jailbreaking may be a DMCA violation.

However, I'm not an attorney, so take what I've stated in that context.

It is pretty clear that if someone jailbreaks a device, that the manufacturer won't be liable for repairs that are related to it working outside of design parameters.

Apr 16, 2022 4:41 PM in response to arjangroen

No it is not illegal to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad. It never has been. Apple does not support jailbroken devices, as is their right. And a jailbroken device is open to a whole lot more potential malware, outright spyware and malicious code than an Apple default iOS or iPadOS install is.

Side loading apps from web sites is one way to get malicious software installed as you’re basically granting root access for the installer without any means of knowing exactly what software may have been included with the installer bundle. Web sites distributing software for jailbroken devices also may be illegally distributing software depending on the packages they offer if those apps or packages have been pirated for distribution.

There is also always the potential of just installing a really badly written app that ends of bricking the device.

Apr 16, 2022 7:59 PM in response to arjangroen

There was a period where it was illegal to do so for purposes of bypassing a carrier lock.

You are removing all of the built in security when you jailbreak your iPhone so be sure to acquire some security apps from various sites and keep them up to date. If you are on 15.4.1 I don't believe any jailbreaks are currently available and I'm not sure that even when they are they will fix your problem with 3rd party non-MFi cables. Seems like it would just be easier to recycle the cables that don't work and acquire some that are MFi certified.

Is it illegal to jailbreak your iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.