Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Obsolete iMac

Hi There,

My mail app on my iMac started to quit unexpectedly about two weeks ago give or take.

After some research today I have discovered the iMac (2013 late) is obsolete and that I cannot upgrade to Moneterey.

I've only just worked out that the problem with my email started around the same time that software upgrade timing of the upgrade and my mail not working together.

Does mail not work on an obsolete iMac?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 4:24 AM

Obsolescence has more to do with dealing with problems on an official basis than any one app's functionality. Apps certainly can work, and work well, on an obsolete Mac. But being obsolete means it is old, tired and has a much lower value than a current model. It also means support is not there with parts and servicing.

It may be possible to upgrade your OS depending on where you are now, or to reinstall your current version. The question is how much Money, time and effort do you want to expend on a machine that old that is having problems.

Time to consider a new, or newer, replacement Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 4:24 AM in response to TAMaZ1977

Obsolescence has more to do with dealing with problems on an official basis than any one app's functionality. Apps certainly can work, and work well, on an obsolete Mac. But being obsolete means it is old, tired and has a much lower value than a current model. It also means support is not there with parts and servicing.

It may be possible to upgrade your OS depending on where you are now, or to reinstall your current version. The question is how much Money, time and effort do you want to expend on a machine that old that is having problems.

Time to consider a new, or newer, replacement Mac.

Apr 18, 2022 5:35 AM in response to TAMaZ1977

TAMaZ1977 wrote:

Does mail not work on an obsolete iMac?

FWIW, you can run Catalina 10.15.7 which is supported on a 2013 iMac. Whatever issue you are having with Mail is not because of the age of your iMac. You should start a new thread describing the problem you are having with Mail.

The Apple terms Vintage and Obsolete only indicate what if any hardware service is available.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Obsolete iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.