Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro can't update OS due to lack of free space

When attempting update of the OS, I get a message there is not enough free disk space. There is over 20GB of 'purgeable' data. The documentation for Disk Utility and SUPPORT comments I find state that the upgrade will automatically delete the 'purgeable' files in order to complete update install.

This is not working.. and the info about 'purgeable' has been 'purged' from the DiskUtility help.

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 2:48 AM

cwfell wrote:

When attempting update of the OS, I get a message there is not enough free disk space. There is over 20GB of 'purgeable' data. The documentation for Disk Utility and SUPPORT comments I find state that the upgrade will automatically delete the 'purgeable' files in order to complete update install.

This is not working.. and the info about 'purgeable' has been 'purged' from the DiskUtility help.

Q - " When attempting update of the OS, "

A - This implies the version of macOS Big Sur is already installed and there was an update to say current version Big Sur 11.6.5

A - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 2:48 AM in response to cwfell

cwfell wrote:

Q - " When attempting update of the OS, "

A - This implies the version of macOS Big Sur is already installed and there was an update to say current version Big Sur 11.6.5

A - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

MacBook Pro can't update OS due to lack of free space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.