Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternate way turn on MacBook Air (mid 2011)

When restarting my MacBook it opened to a grey/white screen and had a password entry line in the middle. Then it went black. Now I can’t restart it. The power key has not been working for a few months. Ever since the power key stopped working, I would not shut down. I would always just restart. If I had to power it up, I disconnected/reconnected the battery and connected the charger. That trick is not working now.

Is there a way I can power up with out use of the power key and with out the battery disconnect technique?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 11:17 PM

Readeroftips Said:

"Alternate way turn on MacBook Air (mid 2011): [...]Is there a way I can power up with out use of the power key and with out the battery disconnect technique?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Power:

Yes. A few techniques that may help...

I. Troubleshooting a Mac Beep:

Replace the charging cable that goes to the charging block. That should fix the beep. See here: Why does my macbook pro beep when charging - Apple Community

and...

II. Troublehooting Mac Charging:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Monitors: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 11:17 PM in response to Readeroftips

Readeroftips Said:

"Alternate way turn on MacBook Air (mid 2011): [...]Is there a way I can power up with out use of the power key and with out the battery disconnect technique?"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Power:

Yes. A few techniques that may help...

I. Troubleshooting a Mac Beep:

Replace the charging cable that goes to the charging block. That should fix the beep. See here: Why does my macbook pro beep when charging - Apple Community

and...

II. Troublehooting Mac Charging:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Monitors: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Apr 18, 2022 11:16 PM in response to Readeroftips

Readeroftips Said:

"Alternate way turn on MacBook Air (mid 2011): When restarting my MacBook it opened to a grey/white screen and had a password entry line in the middle. Then it went black. Now I can’t restart it. [...]Is there a way I can power up with out use of the power key and with out the battery disconnect technique?"

-------

Get this Serviced:

If it is dead, then you need to get this serviced.

Genius Bar Appointment:

To set one up, use this link: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Another Option...

Contact an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider)

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Alternate way turn on MacBook Air (mid 2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.