Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iTunes library on NAS drive

My iTunes Music folder (16,928 items, 260 GB) is on a network-attached storage (NAS) volume that is mounted on my desktop ("/NASMusic/iTunes Music" on iMac, macOS 12.3.1). It worked fine when I still had the iTunes app, and the FInder can access everything in the music folder and other folders on the NAS device. But with macOS Monterey, the Mac Music app doesn't use it, despite setting the path in the Music->Preferences->Files (see attached screenshot).

Music *does* apparently see old iTunes Music folders in Dropbox and on an external USB drive

What am I missing?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 5:05 AM

iTunes and Music don't have explicit support for using NAS storage. It can work, but it has also been know not to, in the worst cases deleting files from the NAS in error when trying to rearrange them. In general I would recommend keeping your entire library, database and media, on a locally connected external drive, and using NAS to store a backup of it. That said let's be clear what it going on. There are two main parts to the library, a database, and a media folder. Setting or changing the location of the media folder doesn't affect which database is opened or what it contains. Typically when moving from iTunes to Music you would option-start-Music and open the iTunes Library.itl file, converting it to a Music Library.musiclibrary database for use with Music. This would bring in your music files, playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. Did you do this or simply set the media folder?

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 5:05 AM in response to Bob_Az

iTunes and Music don't have explicit support for using NAS storage. It can work, but it has also been know not to, in the worst cases deleting files from the NAS in error when trying to rearrange them. In general I would recommend keeping your entire library, database and media, on a locally connected external drive, and using NAS to store a backup of it. That said let's be clear what it going on. There are two main parts to the library, a database, and a media folder. Setting or changing the location of the media folder doesn't affect which database is opened or what it contains. Typically when moving from iTunes to Music you would option-start-Music and open the iTunes Library.itl file, converting it to a Music Library.musiclibrary database for use with Music. This would bring in your music files, playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. Did you do this or simply set the media folder?

tt2

Apr 20, 2022 6:22 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't previously aware of the option-start-Music to change libraries. It's a great way to go. HOWEVER, because I hadn't cleaned up my iTunes library in quite a while, it was a rat's nest of duplicates, orphans, one-offs, narration clips, and unknowns. I cleaned it up manually and then just dragged the album folders I want to keep into the Music app window and presto, there they are in the library! I had to add album cover art manually to a few, but it wasn't a big deal. Now I'll go back and sort through the loose ends I want to keep and import them the same way.

My goal had been to keep the iTunes library on the NAS and save room on my iMac startup drive, but at 2TB it's got plenty to spare. And the library is still on the NAS for access by other non-Mac computers on my LAN.

Using iTunes library on NAS drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.