Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Flash Drives Will Not Support GUID Scheme or Partitioning Under Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Format

I have several dozen USB flash drives that refuse to be erased (or partitioned) under Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Format with the GUID Scheme. I have tried doing this via Disk Utility on several computers running Sierra through Mojave, including under restoration partitions on those machines. "Forcing" the GUID scheme results in "Erase process has failed..." with details: Unmounting Disk, Couldn't open device, and Operation failed; resulting in the drive being subsequently unmountable (not recognized). I can go back via Disk Utility, see the unmounted drive, and erase using the Apple Partition Map and everything then works fine. I can obviously erase under ExFat format and MBR scheme, and that too works fine, but doing either defeats the objective (below).

I've literally read every Apple discussion and support document even remotely relating to this subject and tried every recommendation (including running First Aid multiple times). And, yes, I always choose the highest level device name, not the volume on the device. Further I've tried partitioning the drive under the Apple Partition Map and then erasing under GUID (as one person suggested), but I can't get these drives to partition under Mac OS Extended (Journaled) at all.

The problem exists on all the drives I've tried (multiple sizes, up to 256GB) and manufacturers. I have no problems whatsoever erasing (or partitioning) external drives (2TB-5TB), rotating media or SSD. I've called two of the manufacturers (SanDisk and Micro Center), each of which simply recommend ExFat/MBR, claiming that Mac OS Extended isn't necessary, even to create boot drives (or "installer disks," which is my primary motivation) for Intel Macs.

Thanks in advance of your considered shouts and advice.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 7:18 AM

Similar questions

18 replies

Apr 27, 2022 3:38 PM in response to dialabrain

I've successfully formatted SanDisk external drives (not thumb drives), so it appears to be an inconsistent situation. I've already conveyed SanDisk's official position. It may come down to whichever driver chip (and its firmware) gets "placed" in the drive along with the memory chip(s) during manufacture. SanDisk and other manufacturers may be just exercising their freedom to employ whatever driver chips might be available/most cost-effective for each batch of drives. All of these drivers and firmware probably support exFat/MBR, so that may be why SanDisk (and others) claim they don't support reformatting to HFS+. It doesn't matter to 99.99% of their Mac users, given that most simply use these drives to store data files.

Apr 21, 2022 12:00 PM in response to Mountain Mac

Does anyone know for certain what USB Flash Drive brands and models support Mac OS Extended formatting and the GUID Partition Table scheme? Having spent a couple of hours at my local Apple Store yesterday, I discovered than none of the USB drives that are sold in-store will support such (verified via the drive manufacturer's technical support and conveyed directly to the Apple Store manager).

Apr 27, 2022 3:25 PM in response to PRP_53

Attempts on several drives (Micro Center, Kingston, Emtec) cause Disk Warrior to report erase failure and will not remount. In each case I can force Disk Utility to recognize the unmounted drive and erase again, but it will only do so via macOS Extended and Apple Partition Map; can't reformat to exFAT. I can write data files and read such, but certainly not force creation of a bootable drive for a macOS installer.

Also tried DiskMaker X (which somebody on another discussions thread suggested). That too failed.

Another person suggested trying to partition (instead of erasing) the drive to try to force the GUID partitioning (or revert to exFat/MBR formatting. Haven't been able to get that to work either.

Further, am trying all this on multiple Macs with operating systems ranging from Sierra to Monterey.

Does anybody know a USB flash drive manufacturer that expressly supports reformatting their drives to HFS+?

Apr 27, 2022 3:48 PM in response to dialabrain

That is just not true. There are a variety of memory chip manufacturers and driver chip/firmware manufacturers from which drive assemblers choose for their drives. Those choices drive cost and reliability.

Maybe you recall from the old days when external drives for Windows simply would not work on Macs. Mac users had to find drives that would support both platforms. I don't recall any (other than Apple back in the 1980s) that made external drives that would work only on Macs.

Apr 27, 2022 4:32 PM in response to dialabrain

Please stop. It is not nonsense. It is completely understandable from a business standpoint. Further, as I related previously, SanDisk's statements were official, and conveyed directly to Apple, copied to me.

As you have experienced, some of SanDisk's products work fine with HFS+ formatting. It's just that SanDisk does not officially support such. They even went so far as to state that SanDisk does not test any of their flash drives under HFS+ formatting; exFat and Master Boot only. That means they relinquish choice of driver and memory chips to their contract manufacturer(s). Their requirements instead likely focus on read/write speeds, delivered cost, and perhaps reliability to some extent.

May 7, 2022 11:29 AM in response to Mountain Mac

I successfully made contact with Apple Corporate Relations 5/6/22 regarding this matter, especially as regards why Apple stores sell USB flash drives where the manufacturer of which claims it does not support HFS+ formatting, only ExFat. The person I spoke with will commence an investigation and let me know what transpires. Management of the Apple Store I frequent is also onboard.

I'll post again when I know more.

USB Flash Drives Will Not Support GUID Scheme or Partitioning Under Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.