Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Bootable Installer for old MacOS (2012 Mac Pro) with M1 Pro MacBook Pro

Hello - I recently purchased an old 2012 Mac Pro from a University and as such it did not come with a hard drive. I purchased an SSD from Amazon and I am trying to create a bootable thumb drive so that I can get macOS running on the old Mac Pro. However, I can't seem to find any way to actually create the bootable installer because macOS won't let me run the .pkg file on my 2021 Macbook Pro because the specific versions of macOS (I've tried Sierra and High Sierra) can't run on Apple Silicon.

Is there any way that I can get macOS onto this new SSD so that I can actually use this Mac?

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 7:09 PM

<< run the .pkg file >> what is that?

The procedure is in this article, and as long as you name your USB stick exactly MYVolume and be sure to copy the ENTIRE command from the article (its laps over the edge of the page when displayed) and Paste it directly to the Terminal command-line, I don't understand why that would not work. (except for El Capitan, which is delivered differently)

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 7:09 PM in response to North_Radeon578

The procedure is in this article, and as long as you name your USB stick exactly MYVolume and be sure to copy the ENTIRE command from the article (its laps over the edge of the page when displayed) and Paste it directly to the Terminal command-line, I don't understand why that would not work. (except for El Capitan, which is delivered differently)

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2022 1:25 PM in response to HWTech

ah, here it is:

Safari downloads the following older installers as a disk image named InstallOS.dmg or InstallMacOSX.dmg. Open the disk image, then open the .pkg installer inside the disk image. It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system.

• macOS Sierra can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion
  • OS X El Capitan can upgrade Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
  • OS X Yosemite can upgrade Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

so the solution appears to be to select High Sierra.

Apr 21, 2022 11:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

FYI, That is how the macOS 10.11 El Capitan installer is delivered after opening & mounting the .dmg file. The .pkg file will extract & create the "Install macOS El Capitan" app within the Applications folder. Apple in their infinite "wisdom" (?) decided this can only be done on supported hardware. After all, why allow anyone the easy ability to create a bootable macOS USB installer using any system.

I did stumble across a site which had instructions for using the command line to extract & create the bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer manually, but it had a lot of steps some of which were confusing. Plus the resulting installer was not identical to the one which would be created using a compatible although it did work for me. I don't have the link handy. I know I did post a link to it a few years ago as did another contributor I think.

Apr 21, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

Thanks for that.

The original Poster mentioned trying Sierra and High Sierra. I am under the impression neither of those are inside a .dmg or involve .pkg files.

Actually macOS 10.12 Sierra is also downloaded from outside the App Store now as a .dmg file with a .pkg extractor app inside. I'll try to remember to look on my other computer later to see if I can find that link with instructions for using the command line to extract & create a bootable macOS installer. I think Apple may have changed something since then, so I'm not certain the instructions still work (I personally tested those instructions a year or two ago and they worked at the time).

Create Bootable Installer for old MacOS (2012 Mac Pro) with M1 Pro MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.