Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini and the M1 RAM Question

Hi all,

I am curious after reading so many articles stating that the RAM in the M1 doesn't really matter so much or plays such a big role since the computers architecture is quite different to "normal computers". I am not sure if that is really the case that RAM doesn't matter anymore so much, or am I wrong?

I know the software optimisation is quite important... especially using After Effects etc. I feel like the optimisation has not been done very well or is the RAM the problem?

And by the way, why is there a maximum of 16GB Ram to the M1 Mini? I don't get it....

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 4:41 AM

We are fellow users and have no inside knowledge of Apple product design reasons, so cannot speculate about why the first iteration of the M1 mini received up to 16 GB RAM.

RAM does matter for those applications that expect or recommend that you have 16GB (or more). After Effects minimum RAM in its system requirements is 16GB and Adobe recommends 32GB. If you are working on content that demands more than 16GB, your M1 mini may swap to secondary storage to compensate and that may equate to the AE slowdown. A fast CPU, or how the M1 mini apportions RAM is not the only salvation for demanding applications.

Keep macOS Monterey and AE updates current. Future iterations of the Apple Silicon Mini may resolve the current RAM cap.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2022 4:41 AM in response to Valtyr

We are fellow users and have no inside knowledge of Apple product design reasons, so cannot speculate about why the first iteration of the M1 mini received up to 16 GB RAM.

RAM does matter for those applications that expect or recommend that you have 16GB (or more). After Effects minimum RAM in its system requirements is 16GB and Adobe recommends 32GB. If you are working on content that demands more than 16GB, your M1 mini may swap to secondary storage to compensate and that may equate to the AE slowdown. A fast CPU, or how the M1 mini apportions RAM is not the only salvation for demanding applications.

Keep macOS Monterey and AE updates current. Future iterations of the Apple Silicon Mini may resolve the current RAM cap.

Apr 21, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Valtyr

For what its worth I have a Mac Mini M1 with 8GB RAM and a Studio with 32GB RAM. I see little differences when I render a Video but remember with the faster SSD's the Mini will do memory swapping much faster than the past. I would suggest you review some YouTube videos that compare speeds using various apps like Final Cut and shooting 4-8K videos to see the differences. That may help you decide which Mac to get.

Mac Mini and the M1 RAM Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.