Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching to the m1 MacBook Pro from older Intel-based MacBook Pro

I have a old late-2010 MacBook Pro on macOS High Sierra. I have lots of old programs on that device.

If I get the newer MacBook Pro that has macOS Monterey, will all of my programs transfer?

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:56 AM

Mdelapaz10 wrote:

I have a old late-2010 MacBook Pro on macOS High Sierra. I have lots of old programs on that device.
If I get the newer MacBook Pro that has macOS Monterey, will all of my programs transfer?
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/79fdb3e1-a1ed-4a6c-a01e-c031d53d62a9

2010 was limited to your High Sierra—

Stepping up 4 macOS to Monterey and the new M1 introduces some changes, however nothing earth shattering:

• High Sierra was optional the new APFS, now it is mandatory this transition from the old HFS+ file system
  • developers typically have released 64 bit versions of their old app—so updating software is typically not an issue since Mojave
  • a new two-volume (read only System Volume) introduced in Catalina is a bit different, but typically not an issue
  • Big Sur introduced a SSV (Signed System Volume) for security, but practically does not effect your day to day
  • Monterey macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware.

Always advised to have a robust back up plan if you value your user data.

You can get help here—

Support for your product, help with order placed, help making a purchase

https://contactretail.apple.com/Help

For old backup devices, USBthumb drives, etc you will need at the least a USBC to USB adapter:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

ref: 32 bit only

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and ...

ref: APFS

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

ref: Signed system volume security in macOS

Signed system volume security in macOS - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Mdelapaz10

Mdelapaz10 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/79fdb3e1-a1ed-4a6c-a01e-c031d53d62a9

2010 was limited to your High Sierra—

Stepping up 4 macOS to Monterey and the new M1 introduces some changes, however nothing earth shattering:

• High Sierra was optional the new APFS, now it is mandatory this transition from the old HFS+ file system
  • developers typically have released 64 bit versions of their old app—so updating software is typically not an issue since Mojave
  • a new two-volume (read only System Volume) introduced in Catalina is a bit different, but typically not an issue
  • Big Sur introduced a SSV (Signed System Volume) for security, but practically does not effect your day to day
  • Monterey macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware.

Always advised to have a robust back up plan if you value your user data.

You can get help here—

Support for your product, help with order placed, help making a purchase

https://contactretail.apple.com/Help

For old backup devices, USBthumb drives, etc you will need at the least a USBC to USB adapter:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

ref: 32 bit only

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and ...

ref: APFS

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

ref: Signed system volume security in macOS

Signed system volume security in macOS - Apple Support

Switching to the m1 MacBook Pro from older Intel-based MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.