Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop from my MacMini to iPhone Froze the Airdrop Window

AirDrop from my MacMini to iPhone Froze the Airdrop Window on my MacMini.

Both are running the latest OS.

The Airdrop Cancel button is inoperative.

Other functions on the MacMini seem to be working.

I just can't get rid of that Airdrop window.

Does anyone have a way to close that window without affected other applications that are running?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 1:24 PM

What finally solved the problem is that I restarted the Mac Mini, which I'd not been able to do until now. I didn't have to do anything else.

Previously I'd restarted my iPhone but that did not help. So clearly the problem was with the new Mac Mini. Hopefully it will not reoccur!

7 replies

Apr 28, 2022 12:42 PM in response to KeepImmigrants

Thanks for following back up, KeepImmigrants,

We absolutely understand that AirDrop was previously working. The fact that it now is not is why we are suggesting the troubleshooting options we are.

We encourage you to see if the issue occurs while in a new user, if you haven't had a chance to: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support. This will let us know if the issue may be related to a setting or process specific to your Mac user account that might be causing the issue.

Likewise, we would suggest seeing if you can replicate the issue in safe mode on the Mac: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. In addition to preventing some processes from starting up when the computer boots, safe mode also runs a scan of your startup disk and makes repairs where it can. This by itself can sometimes solve a variety of issues.

We can also suggest trying AirDrop on another network and/or with other devices to see if you can isolate the issue directly to your network, Mac, or iPhone.

If you still need help after that, please get in touch with Apple Support directly. You can do that here: Get Support.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Apr 28, 2022 11:57 AM in response to jmarse1

Thanks but that did not help.

The issue with the Airdrop window on my Mac freezing keeps reoccurring. When I click on my iPhone to share the file that window freezes and the Cancel button becomes inoperative. Everything else seems to keep working so that bug is just with that Airdrop functionality in the OS. After about an hour, the Cancel button becomes functional so that I can then close that Airdrop window. Because of that delay I suspect it's some sort of networking issue, but my own network is fine.

AirDrop from my MacMini to iPhone Froze the Airdrop Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.