Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Back ups accessible and non accessible

I back up to a 5th Generation TimeCapsule from a mid 2012 15" MBPro Non retina 2.6GHz i7Core 8GB ram 1TB storage, i have the 7200 drive not the 5400

My last back up was march 3rd 2018 and my newest back ups tonight.

i am Having an issue im wondering if anyone else has experienced.

im quite sure ve figured out what is going wrong and why im wondering if there is a way around it.

my 2012 MBProback ups fine to the TimeCapsule. I am able to access stuff in TimeMachine i am able to restore from backup

The issue is and i didnt realize this was happening until recently when i deleted an email in early march from 2016 on accident.

When i went into time machine i was unable to get past a few backups.

Ive noticed, what i didnt notice before (oxytocin's moron) i know

as i mentioned it backups fine they are on the time capsule, what ive figured out from trying and testing different things the past few weeks.

If my MacBook Pro was backing up and i went to bed i closed the MBPro and it went to sleep, when i get up in the morning the MBPro hasnt backed up its been a few hours so it immediately starts to back up, then i close the MacBook Pro got to work, i get home it has been more than 8 hours so when i open the MBPro it starts to back up.

What i did pay attention to is when the MBPro goes to sleep, or i leave wifi range or i leave my TimeCapsule, the backup gets stopped abruptly, i never took notice to this.

if i pay attention and let the MBPro finish the backup i can access all back ups as long as the backups finished.

if it stops abruptly because i go to bed or when i take my MBPro to work it stops abruptly in the past few weeks studying this i realized i cant access any backups at all.

i am only able to access a new back up that finishes in its entirety.

That means i cant get into TimeMachine for anything if the back up didnt finish.

If i let the back up finish i have access to only those at that point forward and only until a backup doesn't finish.

When a backup doesn't finish and the next time i back up even it it is 100mb it is like a new laptop and the first backup ever. It doesn't back up the whole laptop like it it is the first time only the new stuff, because all the back ups are there so i can go into time machine and access everything on my laptop from no matter how old even if it backups 1 new file of 12mb, i still have access to all the 600GB of info on my MBPro.

the problem is if i deleted something a week ago and in that time a backup didnt finish i lose access to everything before the next full back up.

why is this happening is this a flaw in TimeCapsule. i never noticed that before.

i really think i was able to access anything no matter how far back if if a new back up was interrupted.

is this because Catalina is Locked down because Apple is at Monterey??

is it a setting that got changed??

or was TimeCapsule always like this??

This is driving me nuts,

i figured out how to stop it, what i do now is shut off auto backups and i only back up when i can finish the back up and i dont lose anything.

i dont think that is how TimeCapsule supposed to work, i would like to back up every hour.

not to be redundant, am i doing something wrong? is there some settings i should check? is it because Catalina is locked down?

i dont believe i have a MBPro or TimeCapsule problem

Thank you and i welcome all feed back on this issue.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 7:31 PM

never mind, im going to get one of the backup apps to control when it backs up and mac it back up when sleeping wake and back up when hibernating back up with closed cover

Similar questions

1 reply

Time Capsule Back ups accessible and non accessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.