Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why apps not working in background when I remove them from Recent Apps?

Hello

I noticed that some apps such as Whatsapp and Snapchat not working in the background when I fully close them (Remove them from the recent apps menu), and I am sure that the option for letting the apps refresh in the background is set to true. I am having a problem with this because I am used to fully close apps when I am done using them, but like this, I will keep losing new messages until I open the app. Also, I noticed that if I shut down the iPhone and then start it again the problem is gone for a few hours. is this a bug or something?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 12:06 PM

4 replies

Apr 24, 2022 7:00 AM in response to MohMu42

There is no need to close apps when you’re done using them, it is best to let them remain “in the background”. When you force-close an app it is no longer “in the background”. Force-closing apps when you are done using them serves no purpose.. other than to waste system resources. Apps that are in the background are in a suspended state and are not actively using system resources, so there is no point in force closing them.

Apr 22, 2022 1:24 PM in response to MohMu42

(Remove them from the recent apps menu),

Do you remove from the recent app in App Library? Why?

The designation of Suggestions, Recently added, Utilities, Entertainment, Socal and others is for quick search and organize the apps on your iPhone in App Library.

It is not the intention to remove apps from the App Library.

You can use App Library to search an app you are looking for and put it back to the Home Screen.

See this Apple article: Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone

Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone - Apple Support           

Why apps not working in background when I remove them from Recent Apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.