Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Won't Reset

Hi, I've been asked to factory reset a MacBook Pro for a friend. Switching it on gives me the folder with a question mark. So I've booted it in Recovery Mode and opened up Disk Utility but every option to First Aid/Erase/Partition/Restore is greyed out. I've also attempted a PRAM reset but just get the question mark folder. I've attached photos of what the Disk Utility looks like during Recovery Mode. Any ideas of whats wrong or what I could try next?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 8:11 AM

smpo1986 wrote:

Hi, I've been asked to factory reset a MacBook Pro for a friend. Switching it on gives me the folder with a question mark. So I've booted it in Recovery Mode and opened up Disk Utility but every option to First Aid/Erase/Partition/Restore is greyed out. I've also attempted a PRAM reset but just get the question mark folder. I've attached photos of what the Disk Utility looks like during Recovery Mode. Any ideas of whats wrong or what I could try next?
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3a630980-290c-40f6-b050-f8b7fe428e0f

Diskutility>View>Show all Devices (?)

It appears your drive has failed, I do not see it in the list.

Base System is the local Recovery partition.

You can try Internet Recovery...? Option Command R

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2022 8:11 AM in response to smpo1986

smpo1986 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3a630980-290c-40f6-b050-f8b7fe428e0f

Diskutility>View>Show all Devices (?)

It appears your drive has failed, I do not see it in the list.

Base System is the local Recovery partition.

You can try Internet Recovery...? Option Command R

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2022 8:32 AM in response to smpo1986

MacOS Base System of size about 1GB is Internet recovery software in your Mac's ROM. it is NOT available for installing onto.

MacOS Base Systen of size about 2GB to 15GB is likely a MacOS Installer image. it is also not available to Install onto.

Your boot drive, if shown, would have to be larger than about 60GB to work.Your Boot drive is not shown.

It may have failed.

MacBook Pro Won't Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.