Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Library and local files

Hi,

I need help making Apple Music "see" my local files...

A long time ago, I moved my Music Library to an external SSD drive (due to lack of storage on the Mac mini itself). Everything went well. I am also a MusicMatch subscriber.

One day, the external SSD drive came loose and was temporarily disconnected.

I didn't realise it immediately and I think as a result, Music went on working but behaved as though I didn't have any music locally, it just played everything from the Cloud. Then, one day, I was offline for a while and that's when I realised the issue as no music played anymore

The drive is plugged again, in Preferences -> Files m the path to the Media folder is correct and I clicked many times on Update library but all my files (when I go to Get Info) appear as "Cloud". None of them have a physical location on my hard drive...

If I re-add an album (by dragging it from Finder to Music), Music will list all the tracks twice... one from the Cloud, one from the disk which is horrible.

I tried to create a new Library from scratch and re-add everything (which would loose all my playlists, a tough decision) but that didn't work either, as soon as I started Music with Option Key, created a new library , all my albums re-appear (probably from Cloud), I tried re-adding an album but again, the horrible double track listing

I exported the library to XML to see the content of the XML file and I can tell that all my files indeed miss the <Location> entry with the file path so ... how to make Music reconcile what is in the library with what is on the disk in the Media folder ?

Thanks for your help

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 11:16 AM

After adding your locally stored content sign out of your Apple ID, then sign in again. That should resolve all of the cloud duplicates.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

Music Library and local files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.