Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hade: PB Wall Street G3 WITH MacOS 10.3. Ville: mer fart. Köpte en SSD med McOS 10.2 installerad, men den startar inte.

PB Wall Street G3 WITH MacOS 10.3

köpte / bought SSD med OS 10.2 installerad.

Startar inte.

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 2:59 AM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2022 2:38 PM in response to Giron-Kiruna__

Thank you for the information.

A remote diagnosis is difficult. Sorry, but there are simply too many unknown factors. How was the SSD prepared, and how was the Mac OS X 10.2 installation done? The exact SSD make/model/type? Details about known compatibility with this PowerBook or similar models? What does the SSD supplier say?

https://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/powerbooks/0340667AMPWRBKUM.PDF

Apr 24, 2022 5:52 AM in response to Giron-Kiruna__

Hi,

Any additional information about the SSD make and model, and the exact system version installed there? An SSD may or may not be compatible with a certain computer model. The operating system (and how it is installed) may or may not be suitable for the PowerBook model in question.

Normally, Mac OS X 10.2.8 is the maximum operating system version for a PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet).

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/index-powerbook-g3.html

Ideally, an original CD should be used at the computer.

Apr 24, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

My PB Wall Street G3 is enhanced with a SSD, on which MacOS 10.2 is installed. But the machine doesn't recognise it.

The company which sold it to me gave me an InstallPower Mac G4 CD: "Install a little part with this on the SSD to give it something to grasp".

Did that. Started from the CD and completely installed OS 9.2. Restart starts from the CD, however. No recognition of the installed 9.2-system.

Starting from the CD I changed startdisk from InstallPower Mac G4 to SSD. Restarted, but computer immediately stopped at a dark screen and would not go on.

May 24, 2022 2:32 PM in response to Giron-Kiruna__

I have been away, therefore this delay.

My PB Wall Street G3 is in my summer house far away from here, but I can try to describe better:

I had the computer updated in all possible Macintosh ways, till I had a PCMCIA card holder installed with a USB card (and a USB adapter) and a TV card.

I bought an Apple DVD player, which I installed where the CD player had been (possible to change with DVD).

I don't remember exactly, but I think I bought an upgrade to the HD.

MacOS 9.2 should be the top OS, but on another Macintosh I got to learn MacOS X. I still used my Wall Street G3, though. However, a none-Apple developer had made a program, Xpostfacto, that fooled the machine to believe it was a MacOS X machine. With this fantastic program I could install MacOS X – but then no more. My deliverer, the shop that sold hardware to me, found this hard to believe.

As a matter of fact I managed to update to MaxOS X Tiger. And all worked.

This should be a happy end, but the computer was now very slow. My reseller then sold me a 2,5" Transcend IDE SSD 64 GB 119/67 MBps with OS 10.2.8 installed. I installed it, but it didn't work. He sent me an Install OS 9.2 G4 CD and said: install 9.2, then the machine can find something to start from and go on from there.

I didn't note that the Installation CD said G4, but anyway nothing happened. I tried all sorts of help, but finally I remembered one thing: the Wall Street had no DVD in the beginning. So next time I came to where this computer is, I brought the original CD and swapped it with the DVD. And now the Install 9.2 CD started, and I installed the whole programme!

The computer nevertheless only starts from the CD. There is no sign of an installed OS 9.2 on the SSD, but the MacOS 10.2 is visible. But once I have marked OS 10.2 as the start up driver, and hit the Restart button, the computer turns all dark and stops.

There it is. Now – has anyone any idea?

Hade: PB Wall Street G3 WITH MacOS 10.3. Ville: mer fart. Köpte en SSD med McOS 10.2 installerad, men den startar inte.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.