Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar Flicker - Early Signs of Hardware Problem?

I recently had my Mac repaired after the USB ports failed. I'd like to make sure I'm not heading for another one. I've read that this is a fairly common issue, but the solutions published online (resetting the ControlStrip in the Activity Monitor & resetting the SMC) haven't worked. It's happening when I lift the clamshell. It doesn't seem to be connected to any malfunction - yet - but I want to know if it is worth the Genius Bar appointment. I don't even really use the Touch Bar, and when I do it still works fine, but anyone know if this is the beginning of a larger problem? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 6:21 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 24, 2022 9:21 AM in response to adamfromtempe

adamfromtempe wrote:

I recently had my Mac repaired after the USB ports failed. I'd like to make sure I'm not heading for another one. I've read that this is a fairly common issue, but the solutions published online (resetting the ControlStrip in the Activity Monitor & resetting the SMC) haven't worked. It's happening when I lift the clamshell. It doesn't seem to be connected to any malfunction - yet - but I want to know if it is worth the Genius Bar appointment. I don't even really use the Touch Bar, and when I do it still works fine, but anyone know if this is the beginning of a larger problem? Thank you.

On an Intel Mac try both—

—resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Even though SMC controls the touchbar, some USB is in play, therefore:

— resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

if that does not sort your issue, then yes it typically indicates an issue with the T2 controller chip

you can see the complete list in Terminal, copy and paste:

ioreg -p IOUSB  

among others you will see:

Touch Bar Backlight

Apple T2 Controller

Touch Bar Display

Touch Bar Flicker - Early Signs of Hardware Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.