Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS not an option to format portable ssd

Mac OS Monterey. Unable to format portable ssd drive with option APFS. That option does not show up when doing erase. The drive I ams using currently on this Mac was formatted apfs about a year ago.

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 8:53 AM

jimmcs06 wrote:

Mac OS Monterey. Unable to format portable ssd drive with option APFS. That option does not show up when doing erase. The drive I ams using currently on this Mac was formatted apfs about a year ago.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/21.0/mac/12.0

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 8:53 AM in response to jimmcs06

jimmcs06 wrote:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/21.0/mac/12.0

Apr 24, 2022 9:24 AM in response to jimmcs06

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

macOS Monterey also is known to have some issues with external devices which can complicate matters. Try disconnecting all other external devices and even try erasing the drive while booted into Safe Mode in case some third party software is interfering with the normal operation of macOS (typically anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, third party security software).

I think you are implying that this external drive currently is using APFS, but that is not clear to me so please confirm the current file system on this drive and also how you are using this drive. If you are using this drive for a Time Machine backup, then you will need to disassociate TM from this drive using the TM preferences since I believe Monterey locks the TM backup drives these days.

APFS not an option to format portable ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.