Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone XR frozen. only siri works

my wife’s iphone xr has a lit screen, can open folders, siri works but that is it. unable to turn off or restart. tried the volume upwuickly, volume down quicky, and the side button trick. didn’t work. Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 9:31 AM

i had to call Apple support. The tech asked me to do the same thing (3 steps of volume up quickly, volume down quickly and then the side button with the power cord connected), but it didn’t work the first time. Then he reminded me that i should do all 3 steps in rapid sequence—then it worked. so, the key elements are to connect power cord, and to do all 3 steps in rapid sequence.

However, it’s a mystery why this happened all of a sudden.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Ahimsa

i had to call Apple support. The tech asked me to do the same thing (3 steps of volume up quickly, volume down quickly and then the side button with the power cord connected), but it didn’t work the first time. Then he reminded me that i should do all 3 steps in rapid sequence—then it worked. so, the key elements are to connect power cord, and to do all 3 steps in rapid sequence.

However, it’s a mystery why this happened all of a sudden.

Apr 24, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Ahimsa

Click ▶︎ Update your iPhone. 📲

If that didn’t help, then try the following:

Turn iPhone on or off.

Force Restart iPhone.

If that didn’t work, get expert service and support at the Genius Bar.

Click ▶︎ Start a Repair Request.

Need more help?

Apr 24, 2022 9:10 AM in response to Ahimsa

The forced restart sequence will always work if you do it correctly:

• Press and quickly release VOLUME UP
  • Press and quickly release VOLUME DOWN
  • Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears (15-30 seconds), ignoring "slide to power off" if it appears

The operative word here is QUICKLY; and try it a couple of times, the timing is a little tricky.

iphone XR frozen. only siri works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.