Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incomplete printing on an A4 document

I am having problems printing an A4 document on either an HP Photosmart 6510 or a Brother HL-L23400W laser. All I get is a strip of printing down one side of the document. I have tried resetting the printers which entails deleting them and reinstalling but this doesn't fix it.

As the [problem affects two different printers of different makes it can't be them. It must be a setting common to both computers (I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro and both have the same problem.)

Both printers are set to use Airprint on both computers. Both computers are using High Sierra latest version.

I would add, that the image being printed is complete and can be read on the screen in their entirety on both machines.

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 10:53 AM

Very strange, try this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 10:53 AM in response to DavJam

Very strange, try this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Apr 25, 2022 8:52 AM in response to BDAqua

Very strange indeed.

Have tried both methods without success. I am using Preview to print the document and when the Print dialog box comes up the preview of the page is perfect.

I have used a lot of paper sorting this so far!!

Do you know if there have been any updates for High Sierra (v.10.13.6) which may have changed the print function. The iMac is a mid-2011 machine and cannot be upgraded any further. The MacBook Pro is a Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 and could be upgraded but I've kept it at v.10.13.6 to match the older machine.

Apr 27, 2022 4:30 AM in response to BDAqua

Here's the weird bit...

I can print three images in a row; first a good one that prints properly (2.8mb), then the offending jpg (1.7mb) and follow it up with another good one. The first and the third prints correctly but the middle one doesn't.

Ive also tried printing the same printer from a Windows 10 (wash my mouth out) and there's no problem.

I've also found that although jpg and pdf files have this problem, png files don't. I can screen grab from this offending image and it will print properly.

Apr 28, 2022 6:39 AM in response to BDAqua

I have finally found where the problem arises. If I don't use AirPrint but connect the MacBook Pro to the printer using a USB connector it works perfectly. AirPrint is causing the problem and I will send feedback to the Apple team.

This strange because I originally moved to AirPrint because the HP PhotoSmart 6510 would not work with a cable. Now it does.

I also notice that a cable is MUCH faster than AirPrint!

I guess this is probably a result of Apple constantly "upgrading" the system code and creating "unintended consequences" - usually know as bugs.

Incomplete printing on an A4 document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.