Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos conundrum

I have not found an answer to this anywhere I’ve searched . I have literally thousands of photos on a windows computer, organized by year, I.e. 1972 , for example . The year dates go back to the ‘60’s. I put many of these folders on a usb stick , and wanted to import them to the same titled folders , I.e. , 1972 ,1973, etc set up on my Mac. I didn’t get the chance . As soon as I plugged that usb into my Mac , it started downloading all the pictures. I ended up with thousands of photos , all under the All Photos , and with the current date . I finally just deleted them , which I’ll admit was easy , as they all had the same date . So, how can I import those photos into files I’ve set up by year , without them also showing up in All Photos , with the same date ? Thanks in advance for your help.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 3:23 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 24, 2022 4:47 PM in response to pawpaw100

That's very odd. I've never known photos to automatically import images without the user manually starting it.

Normally you'd use file>import (within photos) select the images to import, then review for import, and then check the box "keep folder organisation" (If that is what you want.)

Photos is quite careful to only import what you tell it to.

Apr 24, 2022 7:07 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you for answering. That may do it. This happened in 2018 , and I was new to iMacs , though I’d been using iPhones and iPad for awhile . I’d been using Windows since the late ‘90’s . Perhaps being new to the Mac , I caused the issue in the first place . 😀 I’ve just been cautious about trying it again. I believe this time , I’ll only load one year at a time on a usb stick, and see what happens.

Again , Thank you

Apr 25, 2022 12:18 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Well, thanks for the answers . I think I’ve run into the same issue I had in 2018. I have a usb stick , with photos , that I want to add to a specifically named folder in the shared folders , but I cannot move them directly from the usb stick to that folder . I don’t want them in the general photos , unless I can bulk change the date to when they were originally taken , I.e. a photo from Jan 9, 1954 . And because there are hundreds , sometimes several thousand pictures in a single year , they will cause problems if all are added with a current date .

Apr 25, 2022 3:04 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Tony , Keith , and you, Old Toad . Keith , I’m afraid I didn’t quite get what you were saying. I appreciate all three of you coming to my rescue .

Old Toad , your solution worked , and was easy . I was able to move the file into my albums . I couldn’t drop the file into my shared folder , but perhaps after a restart I’ll be able to move , or copy that file there , with the same name .

Again , Thank You all.

pawpaw100

Photos conundrum

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.