Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore messages

After backing up my phone and doing a master reset all of my contact did not appear nor did my old messages appeared after restarting my device. How can I retrieve my messages?

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 12:33 PM

Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    *

ASC YouTube for how to restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from an iCloud backup

ASC YouTube for how to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup on your Mac

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 12:33 PM in response to charde06

Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    *

ASC YouTube for how to restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from an iCloud backup

ASC YouTube for how to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup on your Mac

How to restore messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.