Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I convert a file from m4p to mp3 in itunes?

How can I convert a file from m4p to mp3 in itunes in my windows based laptop?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 12:08 PM

To begin with, you cannot convert music that is DRM protected, which means that songs obtained from the Apple Music service cannot be converted, nor can old purchases from the iTunes Store if they are DRM protected. The iTunes Store no longer sells DRM protected songs, and at one stage any that you had purchased could be exchanged for non-protected versions, but I believe that is not possible now.

You can convert non-protected music if the file is on your computer.

If the song(s) that you want to convert are eligible then first of all you need to confirm (and possibly set) the CD import setting. I realise that this sounds unlikely, but it is correct; iTunes uses the Import CD setting for the conversions

• on the iTunes top bar menu, go to Edit/Preferences/General>When you insert a CD - Import Settings/Import Using and make sure the Import Using is set to MP3 Encoder
    • select (highlight) the song (or songs) to be converted
    • click on File/Convert/Create MP3 Version and let iTunes do its thing. Note that this procedure creates a new version, so the original version will still be available in your library. Once you have created the new versions, be sure to use the version you want

If the Create XX Version says something other than MP3, then you have not correctly set the Import Setting mentioned in the first step.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 12:08 PM in response to Terriprivett

To begin with, you cannot convert music that is DRM protected, which means that songs obtained from the Apple Music service cannot be converted, nor can old purchases from the iTunes Store if they are DRM protected. The iTunes Store no longer sells DRM protected songs, and at one stage any that you had purchased could be exchanged for non-protected versions, but I believe that is not possible now.

You can convert non-protected music if the file is on your computer.

If the song(s) that you want to convert are eligible then first of all you need to confirm (and possibly set) the CD import setting. I realise that this sounds unlikely, but it is correct; iTunes uses the Import CD setting for the conversions

• on the iTunes top bar menu, go to Edit/Preferences/General>When you insert a CD - Import Settings/Import Using and make sure the Import Using is set to MP3 Encoder
    • select (highlight) the song (or songs) to be converted
    • click on File/Convert/Create MP3 Version and let iTunes do its thing. Note that this procedure creates a new version, so the original version will still be available in your library. Once you have created the new versions, be sure to use the version you want

If the Create XX Version says something other than MP3, then you have not correctly set the Import Setting mentioned in the first step.

How can I convert a file from m4p to mp3 in itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.